homemade diy HOB filter

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
i have an idea that i hook a power head in my tank with a sponge filter on the inlet and on the outlet a tube running upwards over the edge of the tank into a pvc tube i will cap both ends off but make the ends removable inside this tube i will put different types of media inside this tube at the other end of the tube i will have another tube inside going back upwards and return the clear water back into the tank:screwy::naughty::WHOA::confused:

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
im thinkin it shoulb work should work as a cross over i guess from a HOB a canister and an aqua clear my prototype will be on a 75 gallon tank what size powerhead do you think would be best

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida

A bit more $$, but will do a much better job.
Around 3-400gph through a 20 micron filter cartridge.
$30, or so for the pump.
$20 for the spin on filter housing.
$7 for a 2 pack of "Rust/Sediment" filter cartridges.
Worked OK, just was a little awkward getting it off and on the back of the tank.
Ended up shelving the system and using the parts for other stuff.

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
im thinkin though like a tube running like two feet maybe laterally across the back and the pump being in tank

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
In The Little Town Of Bedrock!
Thats been done by someone.. I just can't remember his username, if I saw his avatar though! haha It was a little milk container dancing :D I'll go hunting for it.

Cheers and good luck

fishloaf666

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
mi
just get a used magnum H.O.T lol

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
yeah had the money to start it today but had a bit of rough luck so it will get started sometime in the next couple weeks ill keep you guys posted

sk8zeroatskewl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nebraska
now i have to do it found a 180 gallon fish tank with stand on C.L. today for 200 dollars whoop whoop

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store