How Long can I have clown loaches in a 125 with this setup

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
Hello guys, thanks for the great advice, I finally got my own place so I can set up all of the tanks I want, and as of right now the most I could afford is a 125 gallon , but my goal is 300+ in maybe 3 years, but knowing me maybe even earlier.

I have 3 blood parrots right now and 14 giant Danios all only a couple months.

The question is I want to know how many clown loaches to add right now, I know they grow slow so I want to buy as many as possible to grow out right now, without pushing the tank to the limits. I am not a daily water change type, but in my short 5 years in the hobby I always manage a 50% a week . I have a sponge filter, aqua clear 110, and fx4

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well, eventually they will outgrow the tank, but they take a very long time to do so. Since you already have 3 BP's and the 14 danio's, you don't want a huge number of the loaches. I would go for 6-8 small ones with the understanding that once the BP's are fully grown and the loaches start to get some size, you may have to increase that water change schedule.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello guys, thanks for the great advice, I finally got my own place so I can set up all of the tanks I want, and as of right now the most I could afford is a 125 gallon , but my goal is 300+ in maybe 3 years, but knowing me maybe even earlier.

I have 3 blood parrots right now and 14 giant Danios all only a couple months.

The question is I want to know how many clown loaches to add right now, I know they grow slow so I want to buy as many as possible to grow out right now, without pushing the tank to the limits. I am not a daily water change type, but in my short 5 years in the hobby I always manage a 50% a week . I have a sponge filter, aqua clear 110, and fx4
How often do you test your water parameters? Although you change 50% each week you need to know if that's enough to handle the bioload when you add the Clown Loaches with what you already have. Nitrates would need to maintained at a low level no higher than 20% if possible.

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
Well, eventually they will outgrow the tank, but they take a very long time to do so. Since you already have 3 BP's and the 14 danio's, you don't want a huge number of the loaches. I would go for 6-8 small ones with the understanding that once the BP's are fully grown and the loaches start to get some size, you may have to increase that water change schedule.
Ok I was thinking around 6, I was making sure I didn't over do it thank you for the advice

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
How often do you test your water parameters? Although you change 50% each week you need to know if that's enough to handle the bioload when you add the Clown Loaches with what you already have. Nitrates would need to maintained at a low level no higher than 20% if possible.
Right now I am testing a couple times a week because I have been slowly adding Danios from my quarantine, I was thinking of adding like 6 clown loaches but I don't ever want to rehome any of my fish because I overstocked... I will definitely have a 300 gallon in a year or 2, I am just trying to get moved in and slowly remodel the house before

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Right now I am testing a couple times a week because I have been slowly adding Danios from my quarantine, I was thinking of adding like 6 clown loaches but I don't ever want to rehome any of my fish because I overstocked... I will definitely have a 300 gallon in a year or 2, I am just trying to get moved in and slowly remodel the house before
If you buy the clown loaches on the smaller side, it will take them more than a year or two to outgrow a 125 for sure. And, 3 blood parrots and the danios in the 125 should be fine after the loaches move out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store