How many hikari mini pellets (3.2-3.7mm) to feed 4 inch oscar and 5 inch oscar.

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
How many mini pellets would you feed two o’s. One 4 inch one 5 or so. Do you guys go by that feed until their belly is slightly rounded rule or no? I read that a long time ago and i been going by that and my os seem to be growing slow. I had older o’s that grew way faster so im very curious

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How many mini pellets would you feed two o’s. One 4 inch one 5 or so. Do you guys go by that feed until their belly is slightly rounded rule or no? I read that a long time ago and i been going by that and my os seem to be growing slow. I had older o’s that grew way faster so im very curious
I smiled because we're talking about Oscars. Yes I would feed until slightly bulging. It's not just the food but great water conditions and aquarium size helps greatly.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I smiled because we're talking about Oscars. Yes I would feed until slightly bulging. It's not just the food but great water conditions and aquarium size helps greatly.
FINWIN FINWIN
DawnMichele DawnMichele

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
heh he. They're growing and will burn it off quick. You can try 2-3 pellets several times a day spaced out. Continuous but controlled nutrition. Make sure the pellet is the correct mouth size...I'd say 2mm until they hit 6 inches.

Then up to 3mm 6-8 inches

5-7mm adults over 10 inches (one meal a day, 4-6 pellets)

just suggestions

water change like a mofo and get a good siphon! They will poop like a machine while growing. My oscar put out his weight in turds from 5-8 inches.

Last edited:

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
Yes im aware, water conditions are always great. Just wondering cuz i fed my old Oscars same way. Well, same 3 times a day but never these mini pellets, but i also feed them medium sized pellets to mix it up. I feed til belly slightly bulged. Plus treats twice a week, krill, another type of shrimp and meal worms. One oscar grew beast quick but the red oscar is growing slow, its so weird

Reactions: tlindsey

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
My res oscar is growing at a slower rate, my tiger grows fast. Although the red has grown alot bigger since his tiny old size. Just amazes me because out of all the tiger oscars and red Oscar and albino oscars i had, tigers always grow the fastest. I wonder if its a specific type of breed thing

sean2024

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
heh he. They're growing and will burn it off quick. You can try 2-3 pellets several times a day spaced out. Continuous but controlled nutrition. Make sure the pellet is the correct mouth size...I'd say 2mm until they hit 6 inches.

Then up to 3mm 6-8 inches

5-7mm adults over 10 inches (one meal a day, 4-6 pellets)

just suggestions

water change like a mofo and get a good siphon! They will poop like a machine while growing. My oscar put out his weight in turds from 5-8 inches.
Haha, yeah they really are lil poop machines hahahah. They’re worth it tho big time. My favorite fish!! So about 5-6 small feedings? Okay, ill try that. They’re eating the medium sized pellets just fine just like the mini pellets. The big tiger eats big pellets in a second n the red about a inch to inch n a half smaller eats em fine but takes a minute to eat em. So yeah like you said ill stick with just smaller ones for the lil red oscars sake. Thank you

Reactions: FINWIN and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store