How much silicone to re-seal 6ft tank

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I ordered 2 tube of silicone to reseal my tank, do you think it will be enough? Tank is 72x24x18. It’s worth mentioning that I wil only have to lay a bead along the base and the back 2 upright corners. The tank has curved corners so the sides and front are made from 1 continuous glass panel.
I have calculated I need roughly 6 lineal meters of silicone.
I’m located in Australia and will be using bostik v2 black silicone (aquarium safe)
Under coverage on the tube it says - approx 16 lineal meters based on a bead of 6mm deep and 3mm width

C131DCEB-8714-4B87-8BFC-93BA3D8FA317.jpeg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If I remember correctly, I only used less than one standard cartridge size to reseal my 72" x 18" x 24" H 125 gallon tank and that was 12 joints since I also did underneath the top aquarium trim.

I think you'll be fine with one tube since you didn't mention applying the silicone in between the glass panels and are just doing the fillet joints.

Reactions: Bigtdotcom

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
If it was me I would open the tubes I intended to use, and squirt some out, and cap them again. Then wait two days and make sure it cures up solid.

I bought a tube of silicone recently and did a small project with aluminum and glass. The silicone was defective and it never cured. It was easy to clean up and do it over but imagine if I had done a 6-foot aquarium with that silicone and it never cured.

Oh the mess!

I've been using silicone RTV 40 years or more and this is the first time this has happened to me. But reports from the industry indicate this is not an isolated incident and it happens from time to time.

This is why on major projects they always required test samples of the different materials to be examined.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I went through a tube and a half when I resealed my 65 gallon tank (36"x18"x24") a couple weeks ago, but that's partly because I'm very inexperienced with this sort of work and ended up removing a lot of excess during the process of smoothing out the beads. If you're a newbie like me, it's probably best to get more than you need.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Id buy 3-4 and keep the receipt. The last thing you want is running out of silicone during that job
I ordered it online and have already received it so will be a bit of a pain to order just one more tube. But would be even more of a pain not to have enough hahah

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I went through a tube and a half when I resealed my 65 gallon tank (36"x18"x24") a couple weeks ago, but that's partly because I'm very inexperienced with this sort of work and ended up removing a lot of excess during the process of smoothing out the beads. If you're a newbie like me, it's probably best to get more than you need.
To be honest my silicone skills aren’t that great, have done one reseal a few yrs ago, end result was a little messy but got the job done and tank still holds water. The first tank I reseal was the same as yours and I used less then on bottle

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Tanks for all the response. Form what most of your are saying 2 tube will definitely be enough to get the job done. Fingers crossed i don’t stuff up. Will let you know once I’m done

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store