How to change penguin hob filter without causing mess?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I’ve tried taking out the filter pad while it’s running and while it’s off, makes a huge mess with particles flying everywhere in the tank. When I turn it off, it results in particles flying everywhere in the tank coming out the suction part.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I find that with almost all HOB power filters I've used do have some bits of debris 'fall' out of the intake when shut off during filter maintenance. If you are seeing a lot of debris, I would remove the filter housing and intake and rinse it out thoroughly as it's possible that waiting too long between media cleanings allows debris to settle in the housing.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I find that with almost all HOB power filters I've used do have some bits of debris 'fall' out of the intake when shut off during filter maintenance. If you are seeing a lot of debris, I would remove the filter housing and intake and rinse it out thoroughly as it's possible that waiting too long between media cleanings allows debris to settle in the housing.
Use fish tank water remember that also.

Reactions: BichirMohawk

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Toss out the Marineland filter cartridge, then stuff one or two Fluval replacement sponges inside the media box. The sponge will absorb much more of the gunk and provide better filtration. To clean, turn off pump, squeeze out sponge in old tank water, then place sponge back in media box. There still will be a little gunk residue shot back into the tank but probably not as much. I converted my ancient Marineland 280 bio-wheel to filter sponges years ago. No more expensive replacement cartridges. Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store