How to Cycle Tank For the First Time

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am getting a 240 gallon acrylic tank (96x24x24) and I'm wondering how to cycle the tank when I first set it up and how long it will take. I will have two FX6's connected to it. I am assuming that when I start I will have:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
PH ?

And then over time the amonia levels will raise, then nitrites levels will raise and will turn the amonia into nitrites, then nitrates levels will raise and will turn the nitrites into nitrates and that I have to balance the nitrates with water changes. So I have a few questions. After I fill up the tank do I just wait for the ammonia to form? Or do I have to put something in the water to start the process? If I do have to put something in the water, do the nitrites form automatically or do I have to add something on top of that to the water? And if I do have add something again, do I have to add something on top of all of that to the water to have nitrates form?

P.S: I was also wondering what I have to add to the water to raise or lower the PH is the tank? Currently I live in the country with a well. But I will have to know when I move to an apartment next year.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am getting a 240 gallon acrylic tank (96x24x24) and I'm wondering how to cycle the tank when I first set it up and how long it will take. I will have two FX6's connected to it. I am assuming that when I start I will have:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
PH ?

And then over time the amonia levels will raise, then nitrites levels will raise and will turn the amonia into nitrites, then nitrates levels will raise and will turn the nitrites into nitrates and that I have to balance the nitrates with water changes. So I have a few questions. After I fill up the tank do I just wait for the ammonia to form? Or do I have to put something in the water to start the process? If I do have to put something in the water, do the nitrites form automatically or do I have to add something on top of that to the water? And if I do have add something again, do I have to add something on top of all of that to the water to have nitrates form?

P.S: I was also wondering what I have to add to the water to raise or lower the PH is the tank? Currently I live in the country with a well. But I will have to know when I move to an apartment next year.

You will have to add a source of ammonia. A whole raw shrimp, fish food, live sacrificed fish or pure ammonia to get the Cycle started. I personally never used food or pure ammonia. I prefer adding a seeded bio media from another already fully Cycled aquarium.

Reactions: islandguy11

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You will have to add a source of ammonia. A whole raw shrimp, fish food, live sacrificed fish or pure ammonia to get the Cycle started. I personally never used food or pure ammonia. I prefer adding a seeded bio media from another already fully Cycled aquarium.

Tbh no one can give you a time on how long it will take your aquarium to Cycle.

Reactions: Matteus

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I personally like to use a live fish, not a sacrificial fish per say but one I wouldn’t be butt hurt if it didn’t survive. Though mine usually do survive and just becomes part of the stock. Using live fish is a labour of love honesty bc you have to do daily water changes for about a month without missing any.

If you use raw shrimp or pure ammonia no need to rush and do a water change bc there’s no live fish.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
What if I don't have an existing tank? I wouldn't want to add pure amonia. Can I add Seachem or something? Or would the shrimp be the best choice? How would I know they don't have any parasites or something? How long would it take with the shrimp? Like weeks or months?

I strongly suggest not adding chemical products to buffer the PH.
How do I manage the ph then?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I personally like to use a live fish, not a sacrificial fish per say but one I wouldn’t be butt hurt if it didn’t survive. Though mine usually do survive and just becomes part of the stock. Using live fish is a labour of love honesty bc you have to do daily water changes for about a month without missing any.

If you use raw shrimp or pure ammonia no need to rush and do a water change bc there’s no live fish.
Can I add Seachem or something? Or would the shrimp be the best choice? How would I know they don't have any parasites or something? How long would it take with the shrimp? Like weeks or months?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Can I add Seachem or something? Or would the shrimp be the best choice? How would I know they don't have any parasites or something? How long would it take with the shrimp? Like weeks or months?
I use prime as a water dechlorinator and nothing else. I’ve actually never used anything else unless it was meds for treatments.

You never know if the fish you bring home have parasites, that’s why you would use a quarantine tank. However, if it’s the first fish in the tank your main tank is kind of like a quarantine tank as you don’t need to worry about spreading infection to other fish.

I couldn’t give you an estimate using shrimp as I’ve never used it. Even with a fish in cycle I can’t say for sure it would only be a month of water changes daily it could be more or less (most likely more). As tlindsey has said the time will vary from tank to tank and no one can pinpoint exactly how long it will take with either method. Your tests results will be the only thing that tell you if your cycled.

Reactions: tlindsey

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I use prime as a water dechlorinator and nothing else. I’ve actually never used anything else unless it was meds for treatments.

You never know if the fish you bring home have parasites, that’s why you would use a quarantine tank. However, if it’s the first fish in the tank your main tank is kind of like a quarantine tank as you don’t need to worry about spreading infection to other fish.

I couldn’t give you an estimate using shrimp as I’ve never used it. Even with a fish in cycle I can’t say for sure it would only be a month of water changes daily it could be more or less (most likely more). As tlindsey has said the time will vary from tank to tank and no one can pinpoint exactly how long it will take with either method. Your tests results will be the only thing that tell you if your cycled.
So if I add shrimp or some type of chemical, I will still have to do daily water changes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store