How to know if enough oxygen?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
How do you know if aeration is enough in your pond or tank? My new pond has an air disc and also 4x turnover rate for the pump. But its about 3.5 feet deep. How would i know of the aeration is sufficiant?

46A17918-DACA-4761-96C7-8B71BC8F2D8A.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
From the looks of the tank and what's in it, just a little bit of surface agitation from that return waterfall should be more than enough. Adding bubbles is mostly for looks. It's when they agitate the surface is what adds O2 to the water column.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
From the looks of the tank and what's in it, just a little bit of surface agitation from that return waterfall should be more than enough. Adding bubbles is mostly for looks. It's when they agitate the surface is what adds O2 to the water column.
Actually airstones will allow more oxygen to be dissolved into the water (from the bubbles) before it reaches the surface. This is why overstocked tanks have airstones. So bubbles in the water serve 2 purposes, surface agitation to facilitate removal of carbon dioxide and addition of oxygen at the surface plus dissolving oxygen into the water as the bubble rises

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Actually airstones will allow more oxygen to be dissolved into the water (from the bubbles) before it reaches the surface. This is why overstocked tanks have airstones. So bubbles in the water serve 2 purposes, surface agitation to facilitate removal of carbon dioxide and addition of oxygen at the surface plus dissolving oxygen into the water as the bubble rises
I hear you, but most of the oxygen exchange is happening at the surface. Not where it's coming out of the air stone or up the water column. I'm not against adding bubbles to your tank. As you say, there are situations where you may need it. I'm more for using air lines to do double duty, make bubbles and power a sponge bubbler filter. If I don't need a sponge bubbler, I don't put bubbles in my tank. For me, they make too much mess of the glass tops, tank rim, etc. I've got fairly hard municipal water supply.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
This thread goes into some depth and discussion about what roll aeration and surface exchange plays.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You can never have to little oxygen. FreshyFresh FreshyFresh is right. Also, I believe adding plants help with air
I hear you, but most of the oxygen exchange is happening at the surface. Not where it's coming out of the air stone or up the water column. I'm not against adding bubbles to your tank. As you say, there are situations where you may need it. I'm more for using air lines to do double duty, make bubbles and power a sponge bubbler filter. If I don't need a sponge bubbler, I don't put bubbles in my tank. For me, they make too much mess of the glass tops, tank rim, etc. I've got fairly hard municipal water supply.
look at the graphs of post #23.

Airstone adding a extra point of oxygen. So the bubbles underwater make a difference. Air from the bubbles making contact with the water, not just surface agitation contributing higher oxygen level.

Air Stone Bubbles Carry Oxygen and NOT Surface Agitation?? | MonsterFishKeepers.com

I got more surface agitation with a HOB than a DD battery operated airstone, and yet my fish in a 110g tank were gasping for air within hours. However, with just the airstone and DD battery operated airstone they were not gasping (HOB turned off due to power outage).

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store