How to make inset/recessed lids for acrylic tank

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
To do it by hand you would need a quality router with an end mill bit, various clamps, guides, template, etc. Look up woodworking videos for analogous procedures if you cant find anything on acrylic itself.

For best results consult a machinist with an appropriately sized CNC mill. Could be expensive and a lot of machine shops probably wouldnt be interested. But if you have access to a CNC read up on programming it maybe.

Reactions: M3AN ONE

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
To do it by hand you would need a quality router with an end mill bit, various clamps, guides, template, etc. Look up woodworking videos for analogous procedures if you cant find anything on acrylic itself.

For best results consult a machinist with an appropriately sized CNC mill. Could be expensive and a lot of machine shops probably wouldnt be interested. But if you have access to a CNC read up on programming it maybe.
I understand routing around the edge. I still dont follow how to create a feeding hole that will sit on the tank lid

See below

1717505077988.png

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
I think I figured it out drill hole then route top part to the size of a slightly larger hole then use acrylic from pre cut larger hole and rest inside. Routing will be a pain to make sure its the right depth and smooth.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
That seems like too much work might just do this instead. This will still prevent condensation from forming but wont look as nice as a inset lid. I can do the same thing for the feeding port.

1717505931152.png

1717505948238.png

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think I figured it out drill hole then route top part to the size of a slightly larger hole then use acrylic from pre cut larger hole and rest inside. Routing will be a pain to make sure its the right depth and smooth.
With a good router you should be able to lock the depth. As far as smooth goes i would just move very slowly taking minimal material away bit by bit. Carefully sand off the rough stuff...if its a circular hole an orbital buffer might fit right in.

The tricky part imo is routering that radius/circle, for which you would need a circle-cut jig. Ive never tackled such a task, but i think if i were to try i would probably router the recess first, then drill the hole, then use a finished piece of polycarbonate for the lid.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Any idea how to round acrylic edge?
You mean the circle cut-out? Router+circle cutting jig. Like i said its the same process and tools for wood so theres plenty of videos on the subject.

If you mean rounding off the sharp edges after the cut, i would just use some fine sandpaper, either by hand or with an orbital. A chamfer/deburring tool would also work well but be careful not to cut into the acrylic too much. They also make chamfer bits for routers but ive never played with those.

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
You mean the circle cut-out? Router+circle cutting jig. Like i said its the same process and tools for wood so theres plenty of videos on the subject.

If you mean rounding off the sharp edges after the cut, i would just use some fine sandpaper, either by hand or with an orbital. A chamfer/deburring tool would also work well but be careful not to cut into the acrylic too much. They also make chamfer bits for routers but ive never played with those.

I really appreciate all the help

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store