Ideas for proper pH adjustment in the tank?

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
The water that comes out of my tap is about 8.5. In my 75 gallon tank, I have South American Cichlids and I know they like a more acidic water. I bought Fluval Peat Granules to lower my pH they will arrive soon but I do water changes once a week about 30%. Will the peat have time to lower the pH before the next water change or will it be useless since I will be changing the water and it will revert back to a higher pH? Any ideas to keep the pH smoothly at about 6.8-7? My fish are also showing signs of not enjoying this high pH so I think it is a problem.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I suspect you will not care for my suggestion. I gave up trying to adjust pH long ago. While I understand the desire to have a particular sort of fish I generally keep fish suited to my water.
That said if the fish are tank raised they may be more tolerant of an out of range pH. Anyway chasing pH can be problematic, but good luck.

Reactions: isde02 and tlindsey

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
Hello; I suspect you will not care for my suggestion. I gave up trying to adjust pH long ago. While I understand the desire to have a particular sort of fish I generally keep fish suited to my water.
That said if the fish are tank raised they may be more tolerant of an out of range pH. Anyway chasing pH can be problematic, but good luck.
Yes I saw some videos on why you should just keep a stable pH instead of chasing one, but unfortunately I got the South American Cichlids before I was better informed so nothing can be really done about that. Will the fish be fine in such a high pH they are really showing signs of stress now.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes I saw some videos on why you should just keep a stable pH instead of chasing one, but unfortunately I got the South American Cichlids before I was better informed so nothing can be really done about that. Will the fish be fine in such a high pH they are really showing signs of stress now.

What specie are the SA Cichlids?

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
What specie are the SA Cichlids?
I am keeping convicts, blood parrot, so those are the only two South American Cichlids but I also have 5 Bosemani Rainbow fish of which I will soon be adding 5 more goyder river rainbowfish. I also have a Pictus Catfish and a Rainbow Shark.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am keeping convicts, blood parrot, so those are the only two South American Cichlids but I also have 5 Bosemani Rainbow fish of which I will soon be adding 5 more goyder river rainbowfish. I also have a Pictus Catfish and a Rainbow Shark.

I have some good news you actually have Convict's from CA and Blood Parrot's are hybrid but Cichlids involved to produce them are normally from CA. Your ph is better suited for most African Cichlids preferably Malawian. I think the Convicts and Blood Parrots will be ok.

Reactions: isde02

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
I have some good news you actually have Convict's from CA and Blood Parrot's are hybrid but Cichlids involved to produce them are normally from CA. Your ph is better suited for most African Cichlids preferably Malawian. I think the Convicts and Blood Parrots will be ok.
, That is very reassuring thank you I have one question though. The blood parrot is zooming around the tank though, and turning black. Is this a normal phase in her life? Her and all the other fish are eating very well and the tank parameters are ok for the most part. Do excess of nitrates/nitrites or ammonia cause this erratic behavior?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
, That is very reassuring thank you I have one question though. The blood parrot is zooming around the tank though, and turning black. Is this a normal phase in her life? Her and all the other fish are eating very well and the tank parameters are ok for the most part. Do excess of nitrates/nitrites or ammonia cause this erratic behavior?
Yes that and harassment from another tankmate. There should be 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia if aquarium is Cycled properly. I suggest doing atleast a 50% water change weekly.

Lemonheadfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2018
That makes sense sorry I forgot to mention, it didn't seem relevant, the two convicts I have are a breeding pair. They seem to be quite aggressive so I am already giving the male convict to a friend of mine. My Bosemani Rainbows are in quarantine in a 37 gallon right now I will move the convict there after they get out. Do you think the Blood Parrot will be fine for another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before I move the Convict in the 37 after the Rainbow's get out of quarantine?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That makes sense sorry I forgot to mention, it didn't seem relevant, the two convicts I have are a breeding pair. They seem to be quite aggressive so I am already giving the male convict to a friend of mine. My Bosemani Rainbows are in quarantine in a 37 gallon right now I will move the convict there after they get out. Do you think the Blood Parrot will be fine for another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before I move the Convict in the 37 after the Rainbow's get out of quarantine?

Did you just get the Rainbows? Tbh the Blood Parrot's should be separated from Convicts if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store