Identifying baby goliath tigerfish

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
It isn't. It is Vittatus-esque. Grown up to be more colorful, easy to keep, very aggressive on its own though.
Baby GATF has big pliers-shape mouth which is very noticeable when you seen one. Also, its body has silvery color.

hxxps://i.pinimg.com/474x/a4/de/38/a4de3817a921705a3a1fdbfff3235f25--fish-care-the-hobby.jpg

Not mine, but mine used to look like this when I got him. See the differences?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowturtle

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I wanna say vatf but the stripes aren't very bold. Then again there can be variation.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'd say tatf but went for a refresh apparently they're absent from the hobby and what we thought were tatf are cf "big eye", that'd be my next guess since their stripes aren't so pronounced, or maybe I'm over looking the others. Let me refresh some more lol

What do you think C Chicxulub
Im counting two scales between then LL and pelvic fin
Stripes are faint
Adipose mostly black then a little clear
Safe to rule out batf and fatf I think. Def not gatf. Not tatf according to the sticky (I want more info on tatf not being in the hobby lol like how did that become concluded? What were DB's "tatf"? How are you sure?)

Last edited:

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
For me it's down to the vatf variants in the sticky though the stripes still throw me off, but the tatf DB had barely had any from what I remember when smaller atleast and again they are the big eye vatf so that's my guess

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
These guys remind me of my FATF. They’re thin with an underbite and the stripes aren’t as prominent. Also I think it has 2 rows of scales between the lateral line and the pelvic fin. I’m leaning towards FATF.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store