Instant cycle?

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
So a fish I’ve been wanting has become available and I’m setting up a new tank for it. I used 50/50 substrate from an established tank and new substrate, I also used a filter from an established tank and used 50/50 water from an established tank and fresh and threw in a small fish I’ve had for a while to keep up the BB until my new guy arrives. Think I’ll either have a quick cycle or none at all?

Reactions: Deadeye

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
For my flowerhorn, before getting him, I transferred half media from my betta tank (that was the only tank at 80F, other was at 70F, I believe temperature matters as well) and then added a bn pleco, seachem stability and few days later 3 inch flowerhorn with some seachem stability, I never had ammonia spike. Not sure if I need all the steps and if a subset should have been fine.

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
For my flowerhorn, before getting him, I transferred half media from my betta tank (that was the only tank at 80F, other was at 70F, I believe temperature matters as well) and then added a bn pleco, seachem stability and few days later 3 inch flowerhorn with some seachem stability, I never had ammonia spike. Not sure if I need all the steps and if a subset should have been fine.
Thank you, I’ll probably seed it with some type of bottled BB, I’ve done this before without problems, but I’m a little nervous this time since the fish is kinda pricey, so I figured I’d get some thoughts on this

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Before moving a piranha and leporinus to a different tank, I just ran a water transfusion between the two (in hindsight that did absolutely nothing but filthy up the future piranha tank), and everything worked fine. They are hardy fish, so are red wolves.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
the only bacteria that you might get from old water is heterotrophic bacteria (white bloom) that consumes organic matter. I doubt that you will have an instantly cycle without moving all the filters from the old tank to the new tank. You will have a partial cycle.

If you are really that nervous about moving over, then get Seachem Ammonia Alert (it will last about 1 year). It will measure toxic ammonia and not total ammonia like the API ammonia test.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Using water from your established tank achieves little to nothing in regard to BB transfer. Using 50% of your substrate from your established tank, as well as a filter, will put you on the right track, especially if the new arrival is small. In the meantime, adding your other temporary occupant, just to give you an ammonia source, is also a good shout.

However, my concern is not for your new tank, but for your already established tank, the one where you've took 50% of the substrate out, as well as a filter. That is a lot of BB you've transferred and if you've got fish in that established tank you need to keep your eye on your parameters and/or monitor your fish for unusual behaviour.

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
the only bacteria that you might get from old water is heterotrophic bacteria (white bloom) that consumes organic matter. I doubt that you will have an instantly cycle without moving all the filters from the old tank to the new tank. You will have a partial cycle.

If you are really that nervous about moving over, then get Seachem Ammonia Alert (it will last about 1 year). It will measure toxic ammonia and not total ammonia like the API ammonia test.
I moved an AC 50 that’s been running for a year to the new tank . The seachem alert is a good idea, I used one a few years ago and I forgot about those, thank you!

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Like esoxlucius said, using old tank water will do little/nothing for you. That gravel and filter, provided they were in service in a long established and healthy tank is all you need to be up and running in a new tank.

All I do is swap an old, well established filter onto a brand new setup and I'm off and running, producing nothing but nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store