Iridescent shark?

Lord Barium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Monday
I came back from the fish store and saw this really distinctive looking fish. It looked a bit like the top of a shovelnose catfish smushed onto the body of a fatter creature. I had no idea what it was, so I came home and was looking around wikipedia, and saw the article.

Does anyone have this fish? It looks kick :naughty::naughty::naughty:.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I had two ;)

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
if it is an Iridescent Shark then your 75 your getting will hold them for a few weeks/months. after that unfortunately they will need a pond to call home. but i definitialy agree that they are sick...but only worth getting if you can house them.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
awesome fish. huge fish

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
I think they are actually a catfish?????????????????????//

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
brcacti;1750614; said:
I think they are actually a catfish?????????????????????//
Yep. Pangasias catfish/ID shark. Schooling fish. Get 36'' and really heavy. Are skittish when smaller and might hurt themselves bumping into glass. Need LOTS of room, like 600 gallon for three or four, IMO.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Lord Barium;1748673; said:
I came back from the fish store and saw this really distinctive looking fish. It looked a bit like the top of a shovelnose catfish smushed onto the body of a fatter creature. I had no idea what it was, so I came home and was looking around wikipedia, and saw the article.

Does anyone have this fish? It looks kick :naughty::naughty::naughty:.
Do you have a photo of this fish? An irredesent shark, if it is one, is not a piscavore, they eat mostly insect larvae and plant material. The last one I had was dwarfed by it's previous owner and never grew more than 10" in five years. It was a great fish, one of my all time favorites. I had it in a 125 gallon tank with lots of cardinal tetras and other large and small gentle fishes. If your fish is fat and and has a round belly but has a head like a irredesent shark then you have a cutivar of the parroon shark called a balloon shark. they are very preditory and will eat almost anything they can over power. In the wild parron sharks get to be almost two meters long and are caught using large dead animals as bait. The regular paroon shark looks a lot like it's irredesent shark cousin.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
IR sharks are great fish.

Big friendly giants. Not suited for small tanks!

I have a monster albino IR shark that is definitely a favorite among visitors that view my tank.

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
Moontanman;1757093; said:
Do you have a photo of this fish? An irredesent shark, if it is one, is not a piscavore, they eat mostly insect larvae and plant material. The last one I had was dwarfed by it's previous owner and never grew more than 10" in five years. It was a great fish, one of my all time favorites. I had it in a 125 gallon tank with lots of cardinal tetras and other large and small gentle fishes. If your fish is fat and and has a round belly but has a head like a irredesent shark then you have a cutivar of the parroon shark called a balloon shark. they are very preditory and will eat almost anything they can over power. In the wild parron sharks get to be almost two meters long and are caught using large dead animals as bait. The regular paroon shark looks a lot like it's irredesent shark cousin.
But a lot rarer. Paroons get many more times as big and they're dorsal fin is much longer than that of the ID shark.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store