Is a blacktip reef shark legal in Florida?

Reef shark liker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2013
Ormond beach, Florida
Hello!
I live in Florida. I am a citizen in Florida. A year ago when I lived in UK I use to have lots of experience with bamboo sharks. Now I am looking to buy a Blacktip reef shark. I'm doing lots of research on them including reading threads about blacktip reef sharks here. I've got space and money for a circular 40 feet tank. So I wanted to know if it is legal to keep one in Florida.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yes, you can keep sharks in FL. Just be aware the 'wild' ones here are black tip - not black tip reef (which are Pacific). If you are looking for native sharks, the regular black tips are a bit high strung and require a little extra care. Locally, we also have bonnetheads and sharpnose that would thrive in a pool that size. In a 60 ft, you could even step to the medium size sharks - depending on filtration and your budget.

Where in FL are you? I can help you get sharks legally and build the pool if you'd like.

Reef shark liker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2013
Ormond beach, Florida
Yes, you can keep sharks in FL. Just be aware the 'wild' ones here are black tip - not black tip reef (which are Pacific). If you are looking for native sharks, the regular black tips are a bit high strung and require a little extra care. Locally, we also have bonnetheads and sharpnose that would thrive in a pool that size. In a 60 ft, you could even step to the medium size sharks - depending on filtration and your budget.

Where in FL are you? I can help you get sharks legally and build the pool if you'd like.

Thanks for the information Matt! Thanks for asking me, but I don't need help and also I live in Ormond Beach, Florida, so I guess you would not be able to keep driving here.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
No problem. I've gone all over North America to set up shark pools, so a little up the coast is no big deal if anything comes up. Be sure to keep us updated. We all love a good shark pool build thread!

Marlin85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
Florida
Where in Ormond Beach do you live? 60ft pool, thats big, is it going in your house? A build that big could definetly use some advise from someone that has been around public aquariums like zoodiver

Reef shark liker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2013
Ormond beach, Florida
Questions:
Firstly I want a blacktip reef shark.
What fish can I keep with a BTR shark?
Can I keep any other smaller sharks whith a BTR shark?
Any eels?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I'd keep smaller (cheap) fish with a BTR. Since you are in FL, grunts work great. If you need a supplier - let me know. I can set you up with one of my collectors in the Keys and get you a great price.
Eels are hit and miss. I've had big eels eat small BTRs, I've have big BTRs eat eels. Right now I have a pair of 5 ft morays with BTRs and have no issues at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store