Is day light cycle needed?

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have 2 lights on my aquarium, one has the ability to use an automatic 24 hour cycle, the other just goes on, stays on for x amount of hours and goes off.

Is they any benefit to following the daylight cycle, of can I just turn the lights on and off?

I have never had a planted tank before so it has never really been an issue I have had to research....

I am keeping 3 betta, some bristles, some suckers and a few tetras and cardinals.

Do I really need to worry about the light cycle or can I just set them both to come on and off at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tlindsey

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
I would say that for a planted tank and/or the fish you list, there would be little benefit to running a daylight cycle. If it ramps up from "sunrise" and down to "sunset", it might keep the fish from being spooked during the time of year that it would go from total dark to light when the light comes on and vice versa. Other than that, no real benefit in my opinion. In marine/reef tanks a sophisticated daylight and moon phase cycle is necessary for some corals to spawn.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
have 2 lights on my aquarium, one has the ability to use an automatic 24 hour cycle, the other just goes on, stays on for x amount of hours and goes off.
I personally would choose one that is best for the fish and maybe plants that require low light. My automatic timers are set to come on around 7:15 am until around 3:20 pm. You can choose what's times to set best for you.

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I would say that for a planted tank and/or the fish you list, there would be little benefit to running a daylight cycle. If it ramps up from "sunrise" and down to "sunset", it might keep the fish from being spooked during the time of year that it would go from total dark to light when the light comes on and vice versa. Other than that, no real benefit in my opinion. In marine/reef tanks a sophisticated daylight and moon phase cycle is necessary for some corals to spawn.
I keep betta..... The fish a bulletproof, I'm more caring about the plants.....and my sanity.....

All my plants are green, they have no special needs. I have 3 betta, 9 cardinal, 9 sword tail, 9 ember, 3 bristle nose, 2 albine pleco, 1 candy stripe, 3 cory, 6 gold ring suckers, 9 khuli loach.

If I can get away with just turning the lights on at 9am and off at 11pm that would be amazing.......

Can I get away with it?

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I personally would choose one that is best for the fish and maybe plants that require low light. My automatic timers are set to come on around 7:15 am until around 3:20 pm. You can choose what's times to set best for you.
Who would have thought choosing would be a good idea, i mean I would never have thought to post my question here.

This is literally a useless answer... You just told me you do what I already do with no extra... Please don't waste posts

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Just to clarify, my question wasn't about using a timer to turn light on and off..... Thats basics, any dunce knows you need timers for your lights.... If you actually read the question, and situation, what i asked was:

"Do I really need to worry about the light cycle or can I just set them both to come on and off at the same time?"

GIVEN that one light can cycle a 24 hour light cycle and the other just goes on and off.

Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For certain cichlids, when I was working early hours , I would have some lights go on st 5 AM, and other more bright liights on a timer come on about an hour later to feed , and ease in the day, like natural sunligh does. Whether it was less stressful or not, who knows. they did seem to be less stressed by a less rude awakeing .
These days I use natural sunlight because my tanks are out side, and eastern sunlight gradually creeps in about 6 AM, and gets to be full sun an hour later.
For aquatic plants, a natural diurnal period seems to work best and allow higher plants, to best fed off algae, that can thrive on a less natural, and longer photo-periods.
IMG_6835.jpeg
As daylight gets longer
IMG_5248.jpeg
The as afternoon shahows increase
IMG_4083.jpeg
IMG_3722.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store