Jumping gar

Bean Jonkus

Feeder Fish
Jun 25, 2024
Hi all, I have a 300 gallon stock tank that is home to my 2 spotted gar, and 1 iridescent shark. in the last month I have had the smaller of 2 gar jump out 2 times. luckily I have been home and able to get him back in right away, but im wondering what might be the issue. He is eating, and swimming around just fine showing no signs of being spooked or scared. the water parameters are good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. 80 degree F water temp. I have added a few more hiding spots since the last jump thinkin that it might have something to do with recently adding the other gar. could it simply be because I do not have a lid? TIA

pond.png

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Irredescent sharks are very active and skittish fish. They swim 24/7 and cover all sides of the tank so i am pretty certain its yours which is spooking the much slow moving gar.
I recommend adding a net to prevent jumping, especially since irredescent sharks also jump.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally learned the hard way but had lids on the aquarium. Found Florida gar on the concrete floor alive but sustained internal damage. I agree with AR1 AR1 cover the top asap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store