Large oscar help.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
So as some of you may know I have a 8x3x3. I've recently picked up a large veil tail oscar that was at my LFS, seemed like a returned fish. I only have one other oscar an albino one in the tank so for the 400, I figured another one would be fine, the albino one is smaller then my veil tail but not by much. I introduced the veil tail today and the albino has been nothing but a menace, and I've kept oscars in smaller tanks and everytbjng was fine! .. the vale tail is currently sulking in the top corner as you can imagine as normal new environment behavior, do you think the bully of the albino will subside as he gets use too the veil tale. As there is MORE then enough room for these 2 but maybe my albino is just a jerk, ide hate to have to bring this veil tale somewhere. Bc he's beautiful and needed a home

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I suggest you put a divider or separate the fish ASAP before the new fish gets too much stressed out and dies. Then you can carefully plan on what to do next.
Tagging members who have experience with oscars .
Jexnell Jexnell
FINWIN FINWIN

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I suggest you put a divider or separate the fish ASAP before the new fish gets too much stressed out and dies. Then you can carefully plan on what to do next.
Tagging members who have experience with oscars .
Jexnell Jexnell
FINWIN FINWIN
Yeah that's what I'm do in the morning. Ide hate for anything to hapoen to him, specially thinking he's going to a good home then this:(

Reactions: AR1

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So the original Oscar believes the whole tank is his/hers. Hence the aggressive behavior to the intruder.
When adding a new member to a tank its best to if you can, bucket the old fish. Completely change the scape of the tank so nothing seems familiar to the fish you have. Add new fish, then old same time so as no one has any kind of claim to the turf. That way both fish think they are in a new environment and no one has a territory claim.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
How bad is the aggression? Is it causing damage, missing scales and or split fins? Adding another of the same species will almost always cause problems with a lot of the time it being a dominance phase that passes. As Jexnell said if the aquarium isn't rearranged prior to adding another competing cichlid fighting will happen nine times out of ten. Removing the established occupant for a time will help in most cases but with this species it is sometimes hit or miss with them being so personable and intelligent. Before you remove the new guy try a few things.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
How bad is the aggression? Is it causing damage, missing scales and or split fins? Adding another of the same species will almost always cause problems with a lot of the time it being a dominance phase that passes. As Jexnell said if the aquarium isn't rearranged prior to adding another competing cichlid fighting will happen nine times out of ten. Removing the established occupant for a time will help in most cases but with this species it is sometimes hit or miss with them being so personable and intelligent. Before you remove the new guy try a few things.
So the bully wasn't crazy, he wasn't smashing fins and causing actually damage. He was opening his mouth and pushing him away from him, it wasn't bullying too the point of damage too the veil. But the veil seems a little stressed too leave his corner, I may keep the lights off for all of tomorrow if that will make a difference and try to re arrange some stuff... but like I stated there wasn't any physical damage. It seemed like the albino, was pushing him back, chased him twice. But since he was in his corner, the albino stayed in the other end of the tank and left him alone

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Sounds like they are just working things out, redecorating and give them an extra water change while you are at it to make the lutino less comfortable. Leaving the light off could also help though make sure you keep an eye on them and watch for any worsening aggression. The veil may begin to stand up for itself if what has been suggested works allowing them to figure out the hierarchy and put this to bed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store