Legal Florida freshwater stingray??

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
My lfs just got some fresh water stingrays, which I thought were illegal, but the guy said these were the only legal ones in Florida. I asked what their name was and he wasn't sure. I'm super interested in buying one but I have no idea what they're called so it makes hard to get any info about them. If someone could give me a scientific name that would help alot. They're just tan, no markings what so ever.

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
are they diamond shaped? if they are they are brackish water stingrays, that are from florida.

you should take a good picture for us to really know

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

rob93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Davie, FL
Were they sort of beiged with a pointed nose? No idea what they're called lol but I've seen them before at fish stores and they're usually held in freshwater but thrive in brackish

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
rob93;4145196; said:
Were they sort of beiged with a pointed nose? No idea what they're called lol but I've seen them before at fish stores and they're usually held in freshwater but thrive in brackish
Yeah, thats exactly what they looked like. I'll try to get a picture tomarrow. I really want one but not without the proper knowledge about them.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
They're called D.sabina or atlantic rays. They're not freshwater or brackish, they're naturally fully saltwater. They are able to "tolerate" freshwater by expelling 10 times as much urea from their body. This means even at the smallest possible size to keep a ray, you would have to provide 10 times the volume for it to even survive in freshwater. This is why there has yet to be someone able to keep one of these in freshwater for long. Check out past threads on these things, they usually all lead to death within a month or two if not within a week.

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
Gshock;4145334; said:
They're called D.sabina or atlantic rays. They're not freshwater or brackish, they're naturally fully saltwater. They are able to "tolerate" freshwater by expelling 10 times as much urea from their body. This means even at the smallest possible size to keep a ray, you would have to provide 10 times the volume for it to even survive in freshwater. This is why there has yet to be someone able to keep one of these in freshwater for long. Check out past threads on these things, they usually all lead to death within a month or two if not within a week.
I guess I wont be getting one after doing a good bit of reading. Pitty tho, I was rather excited about getting a ray... I'll probably let the pet shop owner know this so he stops giving people the wrong info about them. Anyhoo, thanks for all the info and quickly too! Thats why I love you guys, MFK all the way!

daviddiaz1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2020
My lfs just got some fresh water stingrays, which I thought were illegal, but the guy said these were the only legal ones in Florida. I asked what their name was and he wasn't sure. I'm super interested in buying one but I have no idea what they're called so it makes hard to get any info about them. If someone could give me a scientific name that would help alot. They're just tan, no markings what so ever.

my fish store in Gainesville has some as well and they are illegal without a permit for education or something. I want one bad.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
In FL you need to apply for permit to keep them. If you are looking for FW rays in FL, look up Predatory Fins. Rod can help you get started. He has a legal breeding group there.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I thought they were D. sabina apparently they are Hypanus sabina. I am not sure if that changed or if I was always wrong. They are an unregulated species in Florida falling under here "Unregulated" Species | FWC (myfwc.com) Keeping any of the exotic rays is tightly regulated. Many people catch them in the Gulf or Atlantic and try to acclimate them down. From what I have seen this doesn't go well. There were even some fish farmers looking at it as a partnership with commercial fishermen, but ultimately they decided it wasn't worth it. The best known source of these rays is Lake George on the St Johns river. The native rays seem to do better in freshwater if they are collected in freshwater. Lake George has very high mineral content which may help these fish do better. Sometimes it is even considered a brackish lake. I would say if you are keeping them very low levels of salt will help. However, as everyone said they are a large bioload and you need to be prepared for that. Plus they get around 2ft wingspan and are fairly active. So, the bigger the footprint the better.

If none of that interest you then the best way to enjoy them since you are in Florida is take a trip to Lake George. There are some great springs to explore like Silver Glen and you can do some good fishing as well. I haven't done it but there are some houseboat rentals you can take a week and explore the lake.

not my photos
1606492552516.png1606492601792.png

daviddiaz1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2020
In FL you need to apply for permit to keep them. If you are looking for FW rays in FL, look up Predatory Fins. Rod can help you get started. He has a legal breeding group there.
ive been trying to get ahold of that dude for days about my gar i bought with no luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store