Lemon Finn Barb Lived 45 years

Fabifabi

Feeder Fish
Jun 2, 2024
Hi guys,

I’m very new to this just have a general query really. We inherited a Lemon Finn Barb in the house we moved into which is now approximately 45 years old. When I search online it says the lifespan is up to around 8 years, but we alone have lived there 8 years and the fish is still going strong. It was previously owned by other family so the age is accurate. The fish lives by itself in a 120l tank and we do very little other than feed it and clean the tank when it needs it. Does anyone know how it’s possible that the fish is still well and alive?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

I’m very new to this just have a general query really. We inherited a Lemon Finn Barb in the house we moved into which is now approximately 45 years old. When I search online it says the lifespan is up to around 8 years, but we alone have lived there 8 years and the fish is still going strong. It was previously owned by other family so the age is accurate. The fish lives by itself in a 120l tank and we do very little other than feed it and clean the tank when it needs it. Does anyone know how it’s possible that the fish is still well and alive?
Welcome aboard
I know goldfish can live 25 or more but a lemon finned barb 45 yrs that's awesome.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Longevity seems to be a synapomorphy among ostariophysians, a lot of characins can also live really long, like pacu getting into their 40s, piranha and silver dollars getting into their 20s and 30s, I've even heard of an 11 year old black skirt. Catfish regularly living decades, and never forget the 226 year old koi

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've gotta see this. Post a pic of this "lemon finned barb". I've kept them, they get huge, and your 120 litre tank equates to about 30 gallons, for 45 years!!!! absolute nonsense. They grow fast and their "usual" lifespan, under optimum conditions is about 8-12 years. I suspect, given that you have inherited this fish, that there is a cloud under a) the actual species, and b) the history of its time in captivity.

Yes, fish can outlive expected norms, but not a lemonfin, in a 30 gallon tank, for 45 years!!!! I'm sorry, not buying it.

Fabifabi

Feeder Fish
Jun 2, 2024
Here’s some pictures. It’s not massive and hasn’t grown since we’ve been living with it. It could be a different species, I’m not sure, but the fish I’m 95% certain is of the age mentioned.

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store