Lets see ALL enclosures

FISH4LIFE

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
Saturns 2nd Ring
Everyone post all your enclusures snkes, lizards, turtles, for etc. doesnt matter as long as it is not just an aquarium post some pics!!!!

FISH4LIFE

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
Saturns 2nd Ring
Here is my 10 gallon tank
(empty)
Not totally finished but close

It will house a Long tail Lizard, or a green anole or both??

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here's my day gecko enclosure

FISH4LIFE

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
Saturns 2nd Ring
Cool tank

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Thanks! I keep them outdoors all winter just like how they would be in the wild. Right now they're hibernating under a big pile of mulch and leaves. Eastern Box Turtles are a bit different from the other N.A. Box Turtles in that they really should be provided a cooling period or be aloud to hibernate for even a few weeks. They just don't seem to do good if kept indoors their whole lives and not allowing a cooling period stresses them and shortens their lifespan.

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
Vicious_Fish;1445770; said:
Thanks! I keep them outdoors all winter just like how they would be in the wild. Right now they're hibernating under a big pile of mulch and leaves. Eastern Box Turtles are a bit different from the other N.A. Box Turtles in that they really should be provided a cooling period or be aloud to hibernate for even a few weeks. They just don't seem to do good if kept indoors their whole lives and not allowing a cooling period stresses them and shortens their lifespan.

It's cool that your enclosure came up again because I recall reading a thread pertaining to your turtles a long time ago but couldn't find it.
In the fall, you dump leaves and mulch in there and forget about the turtles until spring?
Do you offer any food during the winter?
It must be difficult to worry about them when 3 ft of snow is sitting on them!:D

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Brooklynella;1445866; said:
It's cool that your enclosure came up again because I recall reading a thread pertaining to your turtles a long time ago but couldn't find it.
In the fall, you dump leaves and mulch in there and forget about the turtles until spring?
Do you offer any food during the winter?
It must be difficult to worry about them when 3 ft of snow is sitting on them!:D
In the fall when they are slowing down I turn up the soil and mulch in their enclosure and add another foot of mulch on top of that. When they final dig a hole and don't come out for a couple of days I cover them with another foot or two of mulch and leaves I raked up from my yard.

No need to feed them in the winter as they are hibernating. You're actually not suppose to feed them a few weeks before they go into hibernation. You'll know when that time is coming because they stop eating. I also soak my turtle in a shallow bucket of warm water to help speed up the digestion of food in their guts. Food that hasn't been digested can rot in their guts and kill them.

When spring time comes and it starts to get warm I remove about half of the top layer of mulch so the turtles can start to warm up. They come out when the temperature starts to get in the mid 60's.

I do worry about them....a lot! This is their first year hibernating at my new house. It has been very cold lately but they are tough animals and I'm sure everyone will wake up in the spring ready to start a new year. And hopefully my 3 females will lay some eggs! When I go home today I will try to take a winter photo of their enclosure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store