Mangrove Jack

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Hi

Haven't posted in a while.

Here is a Mangrove Jack I have growing out. Currently about 8" or so. These guys are notoriously agro, but this guy seems to the acception to the rule, although that can may change with time. Currently sharing a 5x2x2 with a group of mixed malawi haps.

And a few archer fish.

Reactions: headbanger_jib

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Hi Sicksauce, cheers.

I really need to take some updated pics, these are a bit old. I threw them in my 450 with my rays just for something to swim around. Always amazes me how fast fish grow in this tank. These guys have exploded, gotten very big (for archers) have a nice bonze colour now especially in the anal fin. I saw them spit at a lighter i left on top of the tank the other day, pretty cool to watch.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
great looking Jack-love Aussie natives. Came very close to buying a Coal Grunter a while ago here in UK but bottled it due to its reputation. Didn't want to risk putting it in with my Dats

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice jack,I have not seen any in the stores here for a few years.No one seems to bring them in anymore but the last place I remember having any labeled them as red fin datnoids.

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Mangrove jacks are great fish. They are like chameleons, can change their colour at the blink of an eye. Sometimes he looks quite silver and drab, but when he gets excited (water changes and feeding) he goes a very deep red which is quite stunning.

Also appear to be a very smart fish. I put a big bunch of Java Fern from a mates tank not long ago, thing was covered in shrimp, was amazing to watch the jack systematically hunt them out of the plants.

#1StuNNA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Cali
Nice looking jack! I had to sell my small one awhile back because it was harassing the fishes in the tank.

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
They get huge too. Will have this guy in a 8x3 on his own if he decides he doesnt like tank mates as he matures. Have seen these guys while diving a couple times, big guys to about 80cm

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
loves these jacks except knowing their potential aggressive nature from catching them in Hong Kong, I'm afraid to take the risk .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store