Minimum tank size for a common pleco (L021)

Minimum tank size for a L021 (your opinion)?

• 50 gallons

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 75 gallons

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 90 gallons

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 125 galloons

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Depends a lot on the pleco (also choose one of the above)

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
I'm posting this because I've seen people posting with "min tank size for my plec" a lot and there's a few different answers. I guess sometimes it depends on the pleco, and I understand a 125 is optimal, but a some of us keep commons in smaller tanks (60-75) with not a lot of problems. If you keep commons, what size do you keep them in/intend on putting them in for life? For example, My pleco Vince was a rescue from a friend who had terrible water params etc. he doesn't grow as much as he probably should (maybe 1 1/2 inches in the past year or so) and I expect him to max out around 14" or less. As such I am totally comfortable with him being in a 75 gallon once I upgrade.

NOTE: I'm on a slow laptop, poll might not be up immediately. Don't panic ;)

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Foot print of the tank is more important than gallonage. The pleco needs to be in a tank that is at the bare minimum 18" front to back.

Considering these guys regularly hit 20+ inches long keeping them in a tank that is only 4' long and 18" front to back just seems cruel. They don't swim around a whole lot, but their need for long surfaces to cling too means they need a huge tank.

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
^I agree and disagree. I understand your logic, but IME they usually top out at 16". Most plecokeepers should be prepared to get the 100-125, but sometimes they just don't get that big. For example, if you got your pleco from a 30 gallon that had all of its other fish killed off from the waste and lack of water quality, you can expect any fish to be a little stunted. Also, I would never tell someone who just got one for their 30 gallon: "You need a 125". They can't plausibly think of that, considering most people think a 50 is huge. 75 may not be optimal for the beast that you raised from 1", but not everyone can get a 125, and 75 is one heck of a lot better than 30, or even 50.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
While true they CAN reach up to 2 feet, it doesn't happen that often. I had 2 L021's hit 17 inch both at the same time in 190gallon.

For a single pleco(L021) at bare minimum I would say 18x48 with a chance of a bigger size if the pleco shows a fast growth rate.

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
I say 125 or more... Because they get 2 feet long when healthy, they are extremely messy and will poop unbelievable amounts when adults, also consume large amounts of algae pellets therefore siphoning your wallet.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
It's also going to depend on whether there's tankmates in there and how many. If it were just a common plec and NO other fish and you did enough water changes to keep nitrates where they should be then I'd say you could squeeze by with a 75 g. But how many many people keep just a common plec alone in a tank? Not many (although there's nothing wrong with that).

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
I think the main thing is for folks to know that they CAN attain these huge sizes, and so it's necessary to be open-minded about upgrading if necessary. Also, understanding the bioload these fish carry, and what that does to water quality, is important.

I said 125 gallons, because that is the minimum I'd keep an adult one in, but I've got one who's only about seven or eight inches in my 180. He's been in no tank smaller than a 75 in the two years that I've had him (was moved to a 110, and then to the 180), and he's never grown. Obviously, there is something wrong with him, but since I bought him at the size that he is, I have no way of knowing what it is. He eats just fine and spends a good amount of time in his cave and a good amount of time cruising the tank at night.

I guess I'm just saying that anyone with this fish needs to be prepared for what could happen, and keep an eye out for when the fish needs a larger home.

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
^+1. My pleco is a similar circumstance. Don't get me wrong, if he grew to the 16+ inches, I would upgrade my tank from 75 to something bigger, but quite frankly, he is in perfect health and he just doesn't grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store