Minimum Tank Size for Single Flowerhorn?

What's the minimum tank size for a single flowerhorn?

• 55 gallon

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • 75 gallon

Votes: 53 48.2%
  • 100 gallon

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Other (please indicate in a post your opinion about the minimum tank size)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Jill-O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'm interested in knowing what the opinions here are about the minimum tank size that is acceptable for a single flowerhorn, assuming good filtration and diligent water changes.

Basically wondering if our current 55g with our baby flowerhorn is acceptable long term... and if so, I may get another tank and flowerhorn :)

Thanks!

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
ive never kept flowerhorns but i think a 55 is ok if its the only thing in there and its got some strong filtration i recommend the 75 or 100 though

papawoody

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
up in here
www.myspace.com
minimum size to me means for a smallish size fish . so 55 is fine for a small adult fh . some get bigger though , and i would say 75 is a better size for a larger single fh . the whole minimum tank size thing seems to get out of hand sometimes with people quoting maximum sizes of the fish , when they don't all reach maximum size .

Jill-O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for the input so far.

As for maximum fish size, am I at risk of stunting our "baby" flowerhorn by keeping him in a 55g (well filtered, weekly large water changes)?

Or can I wait and see how big he gets, and take it from there?

Also, how old are they when they are considered fully grown?

Thanks a lot!

Burtess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ontario, Canada
With weekly 50% water changes in a 55gal I don't think you will stunt your fish.

But on the other hand... I cannot imagine my Rose Queen that is now about 12" in anything less than a 75gal. This fish fills this tank. He is now 4 years old and thick! Soon I am consolidating my 3 X 75gal and 1 X 90gal into a pair of 180gal tanks. Looks like my Rose Queen is getting a 180gal to himself.....

Burt :)

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
THe more bigger the more better.because once its get larger the hundred will still good in use.and spend money for another tank

Jill-O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for the input, guys!!!

About how fast do they grow? He's "little" now compared to the tank:

Musha

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Flowerhorns reach 7 inches fast, once they hit 7 to 8 inches you get about an inch a year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store