More Black Piranha Questions

PiranhaFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2017
Hello, I once again have more questions. I was wondering why black piranhas get bumps on their chins and why these bumps sometimes turn white. I was also wondering if you guys think I'd be happier with a black piranha in the long run. I have never owned any pygos or serras, so I do not know which are better fish in general. Now, I am also wondering how big a black piranha would grow in a standard 125 gallon tank after about 3 years. Next, I was wanting to know the average lifespan of a fully tank raised black piranha. Now, I know you would probably tell me to do my research on their lifespan, but I already have. I have gotten several answers, such as 4 years, 10 years, 6 years, or 10-30 years. I just want to know what you guys think would be a more likely lifespan of a tank raised black piranha if you really pampered it.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have found two people with rhoms over 30 years old. I kept mine for 17 and found others around the same age. They will live very long if you take care of them.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Most times the bumps on the chin comes from the Black Piranha attacking the glass.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
White bump on chin is from slamming into glass, could be reduced if kept in a proper sized aquarium but more than likely will happen some regardless because of piranha nature.

Start him off in a 125 but should ideally end up in a larger tank, I would say 210 over 180 for the extra height as they can get quite large.

Could live up to 30 years sure if kept in ideal conditions and given a healthy diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store