Moving and manipulating large and heavy tanks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have two roughly 1,200-gallon fiberglass aquariums with glass viewing windows arriving soon. The tanks will come in five panels that need to be bolted together on the bottom and all sides. I'll be assembling them in place in my basement. Each tank measures 12 ft x 4.5 ft x 4.5 ft and weighs around 1,600 lbs.

The fish room is 34 ft x 14 ft with ceilings between 7 and 7.5 ft. I'm seeking suggestions on the best way to lift the bottom panel while installing the sides and how to move the tank into position.

Thanks for any input!

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have two roughly 1,200-gallon fiberglass aquariums with glass viewing windows arriving soon. The tanks will come in five panels that need to be bolted together on the bottom and all sides. I'll be assembling them in place in my basement. Each tank measures 12 ft x 4.5 ft x 4.5 ft and weighs around 1,600 lbs.

The fish room is 34 ft x 14 ft with ceilings between 7 and 7.5 ft. I'm seeking suggestions on the best way to lift the bottom panel while installing the sides and how to move the tank into position.

Thanks for any input!
jjohnwm jjohnwm
wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: Charney and kno4te

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hey tlindsey tlindsey , thanks for the vote of confidence...but this is way out of my wheel house. :)

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hey tlindsey tlindsey , thanks for the vote of confidence...but this is way out of my wheel house. :)
Agreed… done some hairy chit in my 20’s like sending 450’s down stairs by myself 😂💀… pushing 40 now and id opt for floor jacks, blocks and possibly even a winch mounted up on one of ur basement support beams. Rolling tanks around on pvc pipe does wonders also. Ur def. Gonna need some moving dollies and jacks… no way around that. Sheer man power works also if u have enough friends.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Agreed… done some hairy chit in my 20’s like sending 450’s down stairs by myself 😂💀… pushing 40 now and id opt for floor jacks, blocks and possibly even a winch mounted up on one of ur basement support beams. Rolling tanks around on pvc pipe does wonders also. Ur def. Gonna need some moving dollies and jacks… no way around that. Sheer man power works also if u have enough friends.
Thank you. What are blocks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store