My Adopted Philosophy

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
(I promised to publish this quotation in another thread here. I was this way before I ever read Robert’s opinion on the matter, but nonetheless this has been my creed for my adult life.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Die gallantly? No.

Die with dignity!

All else is arguable.
Hmmmm...is it really arguable? All of it?

I mean, there are probably very, very few individuals that can live up to Heinlein's exhaustive spec sheet...but shouldn't everyone be putting at least some effort into being capable, adaptable, intelligent?

If a person doesn't do so...then dignity is a tough act. :)

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
If a person doesn't ...then dignity is a tough act. :)
No. Dignity is quite simple.

And when anyone is close to death (and we are all going to get there), there is in general, suffering and indignity.

What I have seen in everyone that I have known and seen when dying, they strive for the return of dignity. Driving a ship, kicking a computer ... none of that is important.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Point being I guess, is that a human being has the capacity and ability to be all things. Don’t at least try and dignity isn’t available in life, so how can it be regained on death.
Depends how you class dignity. Taking dignity to be a mixture of self worth, esteem, pride, and a feeling of worth placed upon one from others then striving for dignity upon death (which we all will) is simply a realisation too late if it was not sought in life.
Live life being the best version of yourself.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I think the Heinlein’s list was meant to be exemplar but not a literal mandate.

Only the last statement about specialization of insects.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Well I love me some classic Heinlein but take it with a grain of salt, He didn't do all of those things, but wrote about space pioneers doing them from behind his typewriter. But I will say every time I read one of his works, I thoroughly enjoy the philosophy sewn throughout.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well I love me some classic Heinlein but take it with a grain of salt, He didn't do all of those things, but wrote about space pioneers doing them from behind his typewriter. But I will say every time I read one of his works, I thoroughly enjoy the philosophy sewn throughout.
I grok...but more with dogs and fish than people...:)

• Haha
Reactions: Cal Amari
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store