my canister filter slows down within a week to almost no flow out??

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
ill wash it and clean it and it will work with some force but then it will so down really slow and alot of white foam devlops around the exit point of water, what should i do?? its an old filter fluval 204.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
it could just be the wares and tares of age I'd just replace it

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
perdeep007;3919868; said:
ill wash it and clean it and it will work with some force but then it will so down really slow and alot of white foam devlops around the exit point of water, what should i do?? its an old filter fluval 204.
Clean or replace (if damaged) the impeller and impeller well.
Put in more mechanical media. Media should go progressively coarse to fine. If you have a very abrupt transition from a coarse foam to a very fine micron pad or similar, you need to put something in between (use two sizes of foam and then filter floss/polyfil)

There's NO reason to get a new one. Water pumps for aquarium use have NO moving parts except the impeller. There's a set of coils around the impeller well, which the impeller (which has permanent magnets on it) sits in. The pump basically energizes the coils in sequence such that it pulls the magnets around in a circle. Replace the impeller (with its magnet assembly) and you essentially have a new pump.

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
jschall;3920149; said:
Clean or replace (if damaged) the impeller and impeller well.
Put in more mechanical media. Media should go progressively coarse to fine. If you have a very abrupt transition from a coarse foam to a very fine micron pad or similar, you need to put something in between (use two sizes of foam and then filter floss/polyfil)

There's NO reason to get a new one. Water pumps for aquarium use have NO moving parts except the impeller. There's a set of coils around the impeller well, which the impeller (which has permanent magnets on it) sits in. The pump basically energizes the coils in sequence such that it pulls the magnets around in a circle. Replace the impeller (with its magnet assembly) and you essentially have a new pump.
where can i get an impeller from?? it seems like the magnet rotates but it sometimes needs a good slapping on the case to initially start up.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree replacing the entire filter is most likely not necessary...

Any online retailer (Dr Foster & Smith, Big Al's, etc) will carry replacement impellers. Large chain pet stores like PetSmart or PetCo may stock them also.

keeping the impeller well debris free is important. The motor and the impeller is connected by a magnetic connection, so any debris will cause friction thus allowing the impeller to make less rotations per minute, thus slowing the water flow. Also side walls of the impeller well being roughed up can cause the same friction. Also wear on the impeller magnet can allow more distance between the magnet in the motor and the magnet on the impeller, thus making it a weaker connection...

As filter media clogs, there is more resistence, thus slowing the water flow down. So as mentioned having well thought out media in the filter is important.

Many people put a prefilter of sorts over the intake tube. This will catch 'the big stuff' and is much quicker and easier to clean than clean ing the canister itself.

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
nc_nutcase;3921697; said:
I agree replacing the entire filter is most likely not necessary...

Any online retailer (Dr Foster & Smith, Big Al's, etc) will carry replacement impellers. Large chain pet stores like PetSmart or PetCo may stock them also.

keeping the impeller well debris free is important. The motor and the impeller is connected by a magnetic connection, so any debris will cause friction thus allowing the impeller to make less rotations per minute, thus slowing the water flow. Also side walls of the impeller well being roughed up can cause the same friction. Also wear on the impeller magnet can allow more distance between the magnet in the motor and the magnet on the impeller, thus making it a weaker connection...

Many people put a prefilter of sorts over the intake tube. This will catch 'the big stuff' and is much quicker and easier to clean than clean ing the canister itself.
i see, the people who i got the filter from didnt seem to clean the filter at all, i have to put in new media in it, the impeller seems to rotate well, it could be the media slowing it down, do you mean putting like a sponge cut out before the intake value allows water to enter?????
As filter media clogs, there is more resistence, thus slowing the water flow down. So as mentioned having well thought out media in the filter is important.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store