My Male Cuban Plus Substrate Change

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Had to change out my old substrate from black blasting sand to PFS. My male here is a little over 5 inches he was looking drabbed and stressed out from the constant black sand. He now looks normal and looks awesome with the PFS. I want to say I had him since April as he's the last from a group of 1.5 inch Cubans I tried to get a pair from and it just didn't work out. Found cubans to be a bit slow on growth when small but has been growing noticeably fast for me.IMG_20240825_143910863.jpg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Had to change out my old substrate from black blasting sand to PFS. My male here is a little over 5 inches he was looking drabbed and stressed out from the constant black sand. He now looks normal and looks awesome with the PFS. I want to say I had him since April as he's the last from a group of 1.5 inch Cubans I tried to get a pair from and it just didn't work out. Found cubans to be a bit slow on growth when small but has been growing noticeably fast for me.View attachment 1547960
Gorgeous fish! Keep us updated

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Gorgeous fish! Keep us updated
Black diamond blasting sand was ok but there were times he was in all black mode. I know cichlids will color accordingly to substrate and surroundings for lurking predators such as birds but he just looked worse and worse. Plus, fish waste clings to it pretty good.
And thank you

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Black diamond blasting sand was ok but there were times he was in all black mode. I know cichlids will color accordingly to substrate and surroundings for lurking predators such as birds but he just looked worse and worse. Plus, fish waste clings to it pretty good.
And thank you
That's strange. My midevil was stressed out due to light coloured substrate. It became more comfortable when I added a black and dark brown substrate. Maybe it had to do something with it being in the pond?
BTW your welcome.

Reactions: Roger Mcfish

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
That's strange. My midevil was stressed out due to light coloured substrate. It became more comfortable when I added a black and dark brown substrate. Maybe it had to do something with it being in the pond?
BTW your welcome.
A few months back when I had a 6ft mixed central american cichlid tank, mine were also stressed from the almost white substrate until I swapped for PFS and they were so much active. Same reaction as yours.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Chicagoland
Here is the same festae from black Tahitian Moon sand to white PFS. First two pictures are within an hour and the second day they spawned so she was extra purdy. I now use Red Flint in all my aquariums, no more dark substrate for me.
1724625301256.jpeg
1724625312615.jpeg
1724625323097.jpeg

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Reactions: tlindsey and HUKIT
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store