FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
The ups and downs of fishkeeping continue. Discovered this today in the 125 by accident. Hrp Hulk has a damaged/white mouth that appears lacerated at the top. There are a few white dots on his tail in a vertical pattern, also a couple of tiny ones near the gill area. Possible beginning of tail rot. No swelling, eyes look normal. He can still move his mouth but you can see it's in poor condition. What's going on here? It's possibly from fighting the syno cat since the cat often goes into Hulk's cave and they scrap.

I did introduce some new plants last week but they were quarantined and no other fish are affected. I planned to start separating this group in the 125 this weekend.

pictures. Last w/c 4 days ago at 80%. Hulk appeared normal at the time.

first view.jpg

view 1 copy.jpg

view 2.jpg

view 3 copy.jpg

view 4.jpg

view 5 copy.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like columnaris. When the mouth gets affected it’s usually very bad and too late to treat. Would move it into a quarantine tank and try kanamycin and furan2 if you want an attempt at treating the fish.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Looks like columnaris. When the mouth gets affected it’s usually very bad and too late to treat. Would move it into a quarantine tank and try kanamycin and furan2 if you want an attempt at treating the fish.
Thank you, I feared this. I started him on salt and Aqua-Cura (kanamycin base) for popeye, fungal, bacterial. Is there a substitute for furan 2 I can try? I have other meds while I try to get the furan 2.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Linking my experience with suspected columnaris:
I don’t know for sure that’s what it was, but the white growths seemed consistent.
I was pretty resigned that the fish were all going to die so I rolled the dice and tried seachem polyguard as a last resort. The fish showed rapid improvement, and I haven’t had an issue since.
Hulk may be too far gone, but if there’s one thing about convict types it’s that they’re fighters.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Linking my experience with suspected columnaris:
I don’t know for sure that’s what it was, but the white growths seemed consistent.
I was pretty resigned that the fish were all going to die so I rolled the dice and tried seachem polyguard as a last resort. The fish showed rapid improvement, and I haven’t had an issue since.
Hulk may be too far gone, but if there’s one thing about convict types it’s that they’re fighters.
Thanks you've given me a thread of hope at least...what about Nitrofurazone? (or is that another name for furan-2).

Also, how do I combine the meds per dosage? for how long?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks you've given me a thread of hope at least...what about Nitrofurazone? (or is that another name for furan-2).

Also, how do I combine the meds per dosage? for how long?
That’s what furan 2 is. I remember trying to find nitrofurazone and it being largely prohibited…something about being a carcinogen…
I’d be wary about combining meds, sometimes they can have nasty effects when combined (not sure if this is the case for something like kanamycin and nitro though).

Another thing I’ll toss out there is that cats seem to do bad with meds. At the end of treatment, I randomly lost my raphael who showed no signs of issue before. Googling around I found similar experiences with Raphaels and antibiotics. This could be limited to doradids but worth mentioning given your syno.

Reactions: FINWIN

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I got furan 2 here: https://a.co/d/05NMjvdk

I gave a full dose of Kanaplex and Nitrofurazone and that eventually took care of the columnaris but I still lost some fish. It’s a nasty illness and quickly spread to other fish.

I also lowered temps, fed sparingly, and did lots of water changes to keep bacterial growth and load down

Reactions: Deadeye and FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I got furan 2 here: https://a.co/d/05NMjvdk

I gave a full dose of Kanaplex and Nitrofurazone and that eventually took care of the columnaris but I still lost some fish. It’s a nasty illness and quickly spread to other fish.

I also lowered temps, fed sparingly, and did lots of water changes to keep bacterial growth and load down
Odd, amazon has the full name version. So far no other fish are having any issues. I'm goint to try the Polyguard first because I'm cautious bout using carcinogen products.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store