Mystus leucophasis(asian upside-down catfish) questions?

DOTARUINEDMYLIFE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
wonderland
1. How would they do in a 75g 48x18x21" tank with bichirs and dats?

2. How often do they swim upside-down?

3. If i was to get a pictus cat, how small is the smallest it can be so my 7" delhezi bichir wont eat it?

fishlover88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Aurora, CO
i kept mine in a 55 for the longest time, now its in aa 75, i dont see why they couldnt live in a 75 for life. they grow about a foot, so 18" is more than enough for a fish to turn around and its not like your tank is heavily stocked already. And as for the size of one, nothing smaller than your bichir

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I think they swim right-side up as often as normal fish swim upsidedown

fishlover88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Aurora, CO
id like to see a picture of an 18" asian upside down. cause i cant find one, and nowhere have i ever seen anything mentioned about this size.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
fwlion;1311346; said:
they actually get about 18in.
the max i've seen is around 12" they may get bigger eventually but i doubt it,most are in the 8"-10" bracket,a bit like the sun cat(horabagrus) they are supposed to get 18" but i've had mine for 2 1/2 years and he's still around 6"-7"!!!:)

Finalfire9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Für Dresden
www.myspace.com
To answer that opening forum question. ive been housing a Giant asian upsidedown catfish for about 5 years in a 75g. he Such a beautiful fish being jet black

what really drew me to the fish was the 7 or 8 silver sparkles on the sides looks like tiny tiny permenet glitter.

Its the second one ive owned the first died at 8inches by gettin caught in some aquascape barrel i had as decoration. i wont make the same mistake with any container like places to hide again.

There is like no information on the net about this fish thats what makes me believe how rare it is.

The one i have now is at 13 or 14 inches from mouth to tail He rarely eats pellets and usally eats the **** from my clownknifes.

Tank adjustments made for him>>>>>>>>
Put lots of drift lots wood in the tank hes in hoping that will soften the water for him. and for places near the surface he can just hover under

Another thing ive done is really blocked the light out. In fact i blocked the light out on half my 50/50 light setup on the driftwood side just bc i think the fish needs a ultralow light area of the tank.

His growth rate is a inch every 6 months these days. If your saying the max size is 18" thats 3 or 4 years away. So thats a lifespan of 10 years for these fish? I wonder what size they get in the wild?> I would so love to see a pic of ones of these thats like 3 feet haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store