Need help decided beat size tank

Sublo

Feeder Fish
Aug 31, 2024
Hi , I have to upgrade my tank here soon for a zebrina pike, hes only about 6-8 inches currently but growing fast. In a 75 now , looking at tanks from 200-300 to maybe combine my some of other fish aswell into one tank.

would a 6ft 220 be enough for a zebrina pike , an Oscar , delhetzi bichir , 4 - 6 geophagus, and maybe a school fish (like silver dollar) aswell. Is this too much? Would 8ft be better ?

Reactions: tlindsey

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I would get an 8' if you can. 8x2x2 is 240 gal so similar weight & volume. Better for the group of fish you wish to house together in the long run. BTW :welcome:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because you are trying to combine species wih differing current prefereces, the more space the better to vary different zones in the same tank
The Geophagines and the pikes would prefer a rheophillic (higher current) environmentd as they age.
The bichers, and oscars prefer a less turbid zones, so as not to be pushed around by strong currents.
In a perfect world.......
To vary such zones in the same tank, enough space would be provided to send wave maker currents across open swaths of water, and still have areas more placid zones .
So enough space may need to be planned for, so of course the larger the tank, the better, if trying to do best for all..

I keep rheophillic species in a 180 gal tank, and find it difficult to combine areas to also fit those more placid preferring species areas in such in a small tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi , I have to upgrade my tank here soon for a zebrina pike, hes only about 6-8 inches currently but growing fast. In a 75 now , looking at tanks from 200-300 to maybe combine my some of other fish aswell into one tank.

would a 6ft 220 be enough for a zebrina pike , an Oscar , delhetzi bichir , 4 - 6 geophagus, and maybe a school fish (like silver dollar) aswell. Is this too much? Would 8ft be better ?
Welcome aboard

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store