Need info on Channa bleheri and Channa orientalis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
My LFS has lots of Channa bleheri and Channa orientalis in the same tank, and they're going for just $8 each! I have kept Channa bleheri many times before in water with pH 7.5-8.0, and they all died. I think the pH was just too high for them; I read they require soft acidic water. Now that my dealer has some really cute-looking Channa orientalis, I'm extremely tempted to get a few, but I'm afraid they will die in my tank (pH 7.8). I have a few questions: What is their pH range?
What do they eat (mine only ate chopped prawn)? How big do they grow? What is their temperament? Thanks for any help you may render me :)

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Kutty said:
My LFS has lots of Channa bleheri and Channa orientalis in the same tank, and they're going for just $8 each! I have kept Channa bleheri many times before in water with pH 7.5-8.0, and they all died. I think the pH was just too high for them; I read they require soft acidic water. Now that my dealer has some really cute-looking Channa orientalis, I'm extremely tempted to get a few, but I'm afraid they will die in my tank (pH 7.8). I have a few questions: What is their pH range?
What do they eat (mine only ate chopped prawn)? How big do they grow? What is their temperament? Thanks for any help you may render me :)
I don't have any experience with the orientalis. So I don't think I can help you on that.

But for the bleheri, they will need soft water. pH of about 6.5 will be good. Don't stress them out as they are very prone to fungus. Eats any live food they can fit into their mouth such as little froglets, feeder fishes. Can be trained to take dead meat such as prawn meat. Can also be trained to take pellets.

evilfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
england
chuck in a few guppys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store