New build advice please from UK

Dazzle be nice plz

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2024
Hello all and I’m a very long term lurker and fan but never had courage to walk amongst you.
im in UK
im ashamed to say my “monster” will to be many of you guys a top up possibly a water change lol.
im an old man who’s been into salt water reefs now far to long to know better yet still I dream
i trying to make my last ever tank ( hoping I got another 10-20 years in me )
I need to build a non glass non acrylic tank 2x1x1 metres or around 6.6 feet by 3 feet 3 long and high
my issue over decades is practicality, I build a new tank and friends n family vanish until it’s wet,
over years I’ve caused a few hernias I will concede
my goal is to build a plywood frame, then fibreglass it for strength then gel coat it, obviously with a viewing window.
the tank itself and sump will be housed in our glass conservatory sadly with a wiewing window in our dining room
i will need to overcome temperature swings and condensation sadly but it is what it is
i have never built a wooden framed tank, my experiance with fibre glass is mostly on cars (and that ended badly).
im reasonable with building construction even if I need to measure 3 times before realising I cut it wrong still
i intend to box 18mm plywood which you guys might know as 3/4“
I will clad with 3x4” framing and when it’s all done and insulated clad the unit to match our kitchen cupboards so looks is a tidy up thing
my intention out of ignorance is to fibreglass inside and out twice with a light sand each time then decide on a gel coat
any advice welcomed
my realistic height will end up 900mm and depth 900mm which is around 36”
do I need brace bars in centre or will a 4x3 frame around top hold it?
I’m in UK so our building materials not as good as you USA guys
any tips on overhead brace and gel coats available to UK that are reef safe and has known longevity more than welcomed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store