new convict pair....

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
i got a proven pair of convicts from the LFS. well they said they were proven i saw no proof. the female is showing some orange coloring in the fins and stomach area. the male is very protective of her as well.

my question is...it looks like her 'egg tube' (not sure the real name) is sticking out. what does this mean?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
It means that she is most likly getting ready to lay eggs. So you will most likly have some fry on you hands in do time. Hope you are prepared cause they breed faster than rabbits.

They make good feeders though if you have any fish that will eat them.

XRAYZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Tucson, AZ
i saw this egg tube also in my female right before she laids eggs :)

good luck.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
yup just like the others have said it sounds like you'll see eggs pretty soon. :)

REC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Seattle Area
convicts are the whores of cichlids, you could throw almost any male and female together and they will spawn. Cons are by far the easiest to breed, hell my female con got knocked up by my male Salvini......

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
I've had my convicts for 2 months now and still no breeding.... its making me so mad!

REC

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Seattle Area
I've had my convicts for 2 months now and still no breeding.... its making me so mad!
You may have 2 males or 2 females.....Kick the tempature up to about 80-82 and do 2 25% water changes a week and if you have a male and female they should spawn....

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
They are DEFINITELY male and female.. and temp is like 82.. the Texas does like to pick on the male so maybe they arent "alone" enough to mate.. I dunno... I'll have to take pics.. but I am positive they are male/female...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store