New plans?

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
There are less than two years left before I sell my entire fish collection, pack up, and leave the country. I’ll be heading back to my home country to pursue further education. However, I’m saving up for a future monster tank and need some advice.

I thought it would be wise to start my research now.

1. First, I plan for the dimensions to be 10 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet. Is a height of 2 feet ideal or sufficient?
  2. Second, what type of glass panels are recommended to handle the water pressure in a tank of this size?
  3. Third, do you only use silicone to assemble such large tanks, or are other materials necessary?
  4. Fourth, how and where should I place bracing to ensure the tank’s structural integrity?
  5. Fifth, how can I build a strong enough stand for a tank of this size?
  6. Sixth, would these dimensions be suitable for housing large predatory fish like pacu, arowana, etc.? (excluding RTCs, gator gars, and arapaimas).

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There are less than two years left before I sell my entire fish collection, pack up, and leave the country. I’ll be heading back to my home country to pursue further education. However, I’m saving up for a future monster tank and need some advice.

I thought it would be wise to start my research now.

1. First, I plan for the dimensions to be 10 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet. Is a height of 2 feet ideal or sufficient?
  2. Second, what type of glass panels are recommended to handle the water pressure in a tank of this size?
  3. Third, do you only use silicone to assemble such large tanks, or are other materials necessary?
  4. Fourth, how and where should I place bracing to ensure the tank’s structural integrity?
  5. Fifth, how can I build a strong enough stand for a tank of this size?
  6. Sixth, would these dimensions be suitable for housing large predatory fish like pacu, arowana, etc.? (excluding RTCs, gator gars, and arapaimas).
I suggest hire a certified qualified aquarium builder.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I suggest that you forget these extremely lofty plans. Concentrate 100% on your education young man. Come back with your questions when you're a professor of whatever it is you're studying.

Oh, and you'll need a good paid job at the end of it all to pay for your monster tank and subsequent upkeep of it.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I suggest that you forget these extremely lofty plans. Concentrate 100% on your education young man. Come back with your questions when you're a professor of whatever it is you're studying.

Oh, and you'll need a good paid job at the end of it all to pay for your monster tank and subsequent upkeep of it.
I’m actually studying to become an electrical engineer, not a professor. I plan to support my tank through tutoring and part-time jobs. Plus, the country I’m moving to has everything at very affordable prices.

BTW, I’m not trying to be arrogant, just clarifying!
Thanks for showing concern for my education.

Reactions: Tristan's 6000 Fish

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
What country might that be? As far as I can tell it's not the United States. Affordable prices ran across the southern border when Sleepy Joe opened it up.
Plus, the country I’m moving to has everything at very affordable prices.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
What country might that be? As far as I can tell it's not the United States. Affordable prices ran across the southern border when Sleepy Joe opened it up.
You might not like it lol, but its Pakistan.

• Wow
Reactions: Tristan's 6000 Fish

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
The middle east seems like a nice area. I'd like to go to Isreal and Tajikistan, for a vacation. That's not going to happen anytime soon, though.
You might not like it lol, but its Pakistan.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store