New to me aquarium with multiple returns from sump

Tanganikajunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
So I got a 230 gallon acrylic tank and it has one hole to the sump and five returns. Two along the back and three down the middle of the tank. My question is should I plug the three in the middle and just use the two in the back or use all of them. is there a benefit to using all of them?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not really sure exactly where the return holes are based on your description.

What route you go more depends on what type of tank you're setting up and how you want your water flow distributed. Might want more flow up top for more water surface agitation or have more return nozzles to eliminate flow "dead spots" especially if you're doing a planted tank, or might try to put the flow on one side of the tank to emulate river flow, etc.

If it was me, I would put a valve and threaded bulkhead on all the returns to give myself more options in the future.

Tanganikajunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Not really sure exactly where the return holes are based on your description.

What route you go more depends on what type of tank you're setting up and how you want your water flow distributed. Might want more flow up top for more water surface agitation or have more return nozzles to eliminate flow "dead spots" especially if you're doing a planted tank, or might try to put the flow on one side of the tank to emulate river flow, etc.

If it was me, I would put a valve and threaded bulkhead on all the returns to give myself more options in the future.
That's what I am think of doing I have to cut into the stand to get a better idea on how to remove the existing plumbing and see how they attached it to the bulkheads. This is the tank the two on the back the middle one and the one on the right are returns then there are three more in the middle from left to right under that egg crate u can see

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store