New World vs. Old World Cichlids

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
I frequently see new world cichlid by certain Cichlids from Central and South America. What is the difference between new world cichlids and other cichlids? Is there an old world cichlid?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
The biggest difference is how much cooler New World cichlids are compared to Old Worlds.

soon hock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2011
in the water
Old world they have everything new world cichlids have and then some. Best cichlid tanks i have ever seen have been huge african tanks. Top predators, schools, multiple breeding pairs of different species and all kinds of specialized feeding habits in one tank its amazing.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
which is better depends on who you ask, I think old worlds are better

The new worlds are the sa/ca cichlids and the old worlds are the chiclids from africa (rift lakes/riverine).

You will always find dissagreement when you ask which is better as well b/c usually the old world people don't seem like the new worlds and the new world keepers don't tend to like the old world, though there are also pelnty of people who like both. Its all personal prefrence.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
which is better depends on who you ask, I think old worlds are better

The new worlds are the sa/ca cichlids and the old worlds are the chiclids from africa (rift lakes/riverine).

You will always find dissagreement when you ask which is better as well b/c usually the old world people don't seem like the new worlds and the new world keepers don't tend to like the old world, though there are also pelnty of people who like both. Its all personal prefrence.
^Perfect answer IMO.

I keep and love cichlids from South America, I don't even own any CA fish anymore. I have never been a fan of most of the rift lake cichlids except for Fronts they don't appeal to me at all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beside "all" of Africa, Old world also includes India and Sri Lanka (Etroplus), Middle East (Iranocichla, Tristramella, Tilapia and some others) and Madagascar (Paratilapia, Paretroplus, Ptychchromis, Oxyapia and Ptychochomoides).
I keep cichlids from both worlds, they are all great.

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
I mainly like the new world cichlids best however there are some very surprising old world species aswell, one of my fave is the Paratilapia Polleni.

rocky2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
india
i like both worlds

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store