Nutritional comparison of Tilapia, Pangasius, Barramundi & Pink Salmon

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Demonstrative of how whimsical these fish can be, my Blue Base Asian Arowana suddenly decided she doesn't like frozen Pangasius (Iridescent Sharkt) fillet, which she previously ate with relish for 8 months. Guess she got tired of it lol.

I don't see Tilapia at the market here, so I tried some frozen Barramundi (Asian Sea Bass) filet instead and she very clearly loved it. Not surprising as the Barramundi feels oilier (and is certainly smellier). However I was a bit worried about feeding too much to my Aros given I heard too much oily fish isn't good for them.

So I checked and compared nutritional values of these 2 fish, plus Tilapia and Pink Salmon as well just for reference:

Tilapia Pangasius Barramundi Salmon Nutritional Comparision.png

Interestingly the Barramundi actually has the same if not a bit less fat than the Pangasius -- though like Tilapia the Barramundi does have cholesterol, which Pangasius doesn't. At least the Barramundi has a wee bit of vitamins.

I usually feed shrimp & pellets 4 times a week and fish & pellets the other 3 days. So my main question is if feeding fish with above fat & cholesterol levels (esp. Barramundi) is ok for a (carnivorous) fish's health, or better to limit? I see lots of keepers regularly feeding Tilapia to their fish, so am hoping Barramundi should be similarly ok a few times a week.

I will add that in the not too distant future I plan to put both my Aros on every other day instead of daily feedings as they're now about 14"/15".

Btw, the site I used for the nutritional facts was: https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nutrition/barramundi-fillets,153920/ -- you can easily search for just about any sea food (or other food) you can think of, though I cannot attest to the accuracy of their info.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Only issue I see is that Barramundi is 3x the cost......at least in the US.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thx for input Neil, it's on the menu tonite. However, your avatar reminded me that I forgot to put one more important food source on the comparison list:

Hot Dog Nutritional value.png

• Haha
Reactions: RD.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Only issue I see is that Barramundi is 3x the cost......at least in the US.
Good point; I'd have to check to be sure but I think pangasius and barramundi are about the same price here, both pretty cheap; barramundi or pla kapong is one of the most popular fish used in Thai dishes.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
The Tilapia, pangasius and Barramundi looks like they're close enough that the measurements are probably within the margin of error and individual variation of each other.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
The Tilapia, pangasius and Barramundi looks like they're close enough that the measurements are probably within the margin of error and individual variation of each other.
Thx and agreed they're all pretty close enough nutritionally.

Out of curiosity and not to get nit picky, but I also wonder if there is there any difference in their usual commercial farming conditions/environments that would make one better/safer than the others?

But this probably isn't easy to know, most every such operation is after max. production/growth/cost efficiency so I reckon a majority use similar techniques to achieve these goals, though there is certainly better regulation/enforcement in some countries than others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store