Oase issues

BullyBee

Exodon
MFK Member
Hey I’m just warning you guys as great as the Oase BioMaster canister filter’s are to clean and maintain, they tend to get clogged with air by bubbles.

I read about this online and read there was a fix but mine is still running dry on the return pipe. I can see the air bubble too. So I fix it and within 48 hours it happens again.

Now I love canister filters. I’m think they are great. But it seems all of them and I mean ALL OF THEM, no matter what brand have their issues.

would I buy an Oase again? Yes. Definitely. But I’m just giving a warning that like every other filter on the market they have their issues

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
A canister filter shouldn't get 'clogged' by air bubbles. If the filter is brand new or has been recently serviced and you are experiencing air trapped in the filter it's possible any 'rubber' seals are not in correct position, hose connections aren't snug or the filter hasn't been completed purged of air.

If you are running an air stone or similar item in the tank, be sure the intake strainer isn't near the air bubbles.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
agreed canisters really shouldnt have air in them. it indicates an improper seal. are the bubbles being pulled into the filter?

Reactions: BullyBee

BullyBee

Exodon
MFK Member
I’m not honestly 100% sure. First thing I did was make sure hoses were good. Then I checked seals and o-rings etc.

it’s still a great filter. And all my other canister filters (4 in total on diff aquariums) just expel air if the surface skimmer sucks some air in. There is no surface skimmer here.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Sounds like improper seal or the hoses have too much slack in them. Something is definitely wrong though. Take it apart and make sure everything is clean, and there are no damaged gaskets.

Reactions: BullyBee

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It could be due to "Cavitation" , which occurs when an impeller isn't properly set, or worn, and wobbles.
Cavitation is when air bubbles in water disassociate or separate out of the water itself, in the volute, and can actually create pitting in the impeller over time destroying it.
I suggest you Google water pump cavitation, to see even large metal pumps being affected.
It can happen in any water pump, and canisters have built in pump.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store