Odd Tank Dimensions

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I found a tank that is a hex its 18in Diameter and 3 feet tall its really cool looking but very odd the owner said he use to have a electric catfish in it.
I was thinking about buying it but not sure what i could stock it with i would like some sort of eel fish I've never kept any eels or catfish in my 20+ years of fish keeping only SA/CA cichlids. So i was hoping someone could help me with stocking if not then i wont buy it

Reactions: AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Kind of an inefficient shape for a mostly bottom-dwelling fish, which would describe just about all cats and eels. You have a pretty small footprint for that volume of water, and with the fish spending most or all of its time on the bottom the rest of the tank will be fairly empty; that may or may not bother you, but perhaps something to keep in mind.

If the fish requires target feeding or perhaps "training" to accept the foods you hope to feed, the height will make retrieving uneaten food or presenting it accurately...a bit awkward.

Not trying to be negative; this tank, with some carefully chosen decor and/or plants, could be spectacular. Good luck! :)

Reactions: danotaylor and AR1

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
18” is pretty narrow, but you could house a pair of angel fish or pair discus since they inhabit all levels of the water column and their body shape is more conducive to a taller tank 🤷🏻‍♂️
I say “pair” in the hopes they’d get along. There’s really nowhere to run in that tank, so unpaired fish would fight and prolly end badly
Alternatively you could do shrimp & dwarf Cory’s for the lower water column and some smaller tetra varieties in the mid-upper column.
like jjohnwm jjohnwm said, with some nice, well placed decor/plants it could be a stunning display!
Good luck mate!

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
How about a couple of giant apple snails? You could have nice tall decor for them to climb on.

View attachment 1550833
WOW those Apple snails look cool i might look into them.
danotaylor danotaylor i thought of Angels or Discus because i know there prefer up and down being a taller fish but because its a odd size tank i wanted something odd to go in it. I had a mental picture of having some tree branches and plants with a nice small snake (But I'm terrified of snakes and the such) hence why i was asking about eels

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I just googled giant apple snails and this came up.

Federal law states that it is illegal for apple snails to be imported across state lines
Are the legal in NYC?

Conchonius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2024
If you want to make a cool project out of it, maybe split the tank into a lighted plant layer and an underground "cave" layer, with blind cave tetras as the livestock?

This way you'd make use of all that height, and since the tetras are used to living in cave ecosystems with complex geometry, they'd navigate the thing no problem.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
If you want to make a cool project out of it, maybe split the tank into a lighted plant layer and an underground "cave" layer, with blind cave tetras as the livestock?

This way you'd make use of all that height, and since the tetras are used to living in cave ecosystems with complex geometry, they'd navigate the thing no problem.
I actually have been looking at the Blind Cave Tetras for a different setup but i think for this tank it may work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store