Oscars changing color

They_Called_Her_Stephy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Hello I am new to keeping Oscars and have a question nobody has been able to answer.
I have had five Oscars so far, but two currently, (My Red Devil killed three of them...grrr). but both of the Red Oscars have changed color frequently, while the Tigers have stayed the same for the most part. I have noticed that most of the changing takes place when I am feeding them. He seriously looks like a dang chameleon sometimes, I have watched him change color in a matter of seconds!!!

If anyone has any info I will welcome it with open arms!!!!!!

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I'm not some super experienced fish keeper or Oscar keeper but I do love them and I've had several in the last few years at various times. They are easily the most "human-like" fish I've ever encountered. I currently have a tiger and an albino and they both change colors when I'm feeding, doing water changes, or when I press my face up against the tank to look at them. It's just part of their personality and showing their emotions IMO.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
A lot of fish species, especially cichlids, colors intensify, or diminish depending on mood. Colors can become quite vivid during breeding.

Reactions: tlindsey

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
You are saying there mood change with the color changes.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
No experience with oscars, but every cichlid I've kept so far will drastically change their colours depending on the mood(eg, feeding and breeding). This includes african riverines such as kribensis and SAs such as angelfish and eartheaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store