Pacu in outdoor pond?

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
Hey guys,

Question. I have two big pacu (12-14") who came to me among many other huge cichlids in an 84gallon tank. I'm not really having much luck finding a tank home for these guys, nor will any pet stores take them, but a co-worker overheard me talking about frying the things up and offered up his outdoor goldfish pond.

Now, we're in Las Vegas, where I'm sure it's more than warm enough for them in the summer (summer temps around 110f), but currently the water is probably more like 50f. Any way these guys might acclimate to the cold water? I was thinking it might be at least worth a try since their other option is probably going to be a frying pan.

Thanks.

zek

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
65F or lower will probably kill pacu right away.

fry them up and eat them. The guy's goldfish pond probably isnt very big anyway.

Mahseer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2005
Mekong Delta
Large Pacu have been caught in lakes here in San Diego and the water temp can get very low in the winter, definitely close to 50.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Mahseer said:
Large Pacu have been caught in lakes here in San Diego and the water temp can get very low in the winter, definitely close to 50.
OMG!!!!!!!

what lake is this mahseer???????????????

could be they where released during the warmer months and accimated

but i dont think they would survive if they where in a pond at that temp

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
I recall a story from a few years back of a pacu being caught from the Castaic lake lagoon, and seem to recall there have been other stories as well. Most likely, these are all fish that were released and caught during the same summer as the winter water temps in the 50s will certainly kill the pacus.

EDIT: Here's a story from last summer: Pacu caught from Castaic

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store