Painted and tiled my aquarium

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Just finished painting the back of my aquarium black, and tiled it with a brown/beige natural looking tile. I REALLY wanted to do black tiles on black background for a minimalistic look but I couldn't find any on home depot or lowes. Or any online websites for that matter...

Does anyone know where I can find black tiles?

Anyway really happy with the way it came out, debating whether or not to paint the sides.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Looks good. I vote no on painting the sides though. I did it to a few tanks some years back, and ended up hating the 1 dimension feel of the tanks only a few months later and stripped it back off.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Just finished painting the back of my aquarium black, and tiled it with a brown/beige natural looking tile. I REALLY wanted to do black tiles on black background for a minimalistic look but I couldn't find any on home depot or lowes. Or any online websites for that matter...

Does anyone know where I can find black tiles?

Anyway really happy with the way it came out, debating whether or not to paint the sides.

Order them on lowes or HD website. Free shipping to the store of your choice and they call you when they get in. Free shipping is nice when something is heavy, like tiles.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Order them on lowes or HD website. Free shipping to the store of your choice and they call you when they get in. Free shipping is nice when something is heavy, like tiles.
Exactly. That is what I did for my tank. They have a much larger selectioon online. There is also a section with special order tiles. You will find what you are looking for.

PS--that is a really nice looking oscar! I hope to raise some up that nice someday.

Reactions: JK47

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Exactly. That is what I did for my tank. They have a much larger selectioon online. There is also a section with special order tiles. You will find what you are looking for.

PS--that is a really nice looking oscar! I hope to raise some up that nice someday.
Thank you, I might be dumb but I tried looking at the home depot website and I still can't find black CERAMIC tiles. I'm not 100% sure on porcelain, unless someone else is? I went with ceramic since King of DIY confirmed it's ok.

This is the selection I see, 12x12 ceramic tiles. Theres no really good black ones. Except a solid black which i don't like.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Tile-Ceramic-Tile/12x12/N-5yc1vZarszZ1z11cvn

Fishy91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Love the look of tiled tanks but have never found tiles I like in person

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
So, don't you with tiled tanks take out the tiles and vacuum with every water change? I'm wondering about building up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store