Parasite / Sickness ID?

Sep 7, 2024
Have you tested your water?
No
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
0-10%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello everyone!
So I know the forum is usually for much larger fish than these but I have a little issue. I have a 31 gallon community tank that has been running for about a month or so. They’ve been eating brine shrimp, bloodworms, and vibrabites. Everything has been pretty copacetic but one rainbowfish and two pearl gouramis never have seemed to gain weight like the others. Within the last week, the entire tank seems to have lost their appetite (went from feeding 2+ cubes to barely a half). Instead of everyone scarfing the food out of my hand, they are just picking at it and spitting it out. They are older juveniles so perhaps they’re just getting older? However, I’ve also noticed the one turquoise rainbow and the gouramis are very dark and not showing their normal colors with some fin clamping. I noticed the same symptoms with discus a few years ago and I believe they ended up succumbIng to parasites. I ended up loosing one of the gouramis a couple of days ago. With the pics below, do y’all think this is parasites or something else? The fish below are the ones I’m most concerned about. Thanks for the advice! 🙏

Ph: 7.0, Nitrate: 20, Nitrite 0, KH: 40, GH: 60
Temp @ ~80F
IMG_4546.jpeg
IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to make out. Could be stress or something opportunistic. I’d increase your water change to 50% weekly for now. Try dosing some fritz expel-p. That would be my first try. Looking at your fish I don’t see anything wrong. Monitor the poop while feeding. Don’t use any carbon in the tank while treating. Soak your food in some Boyd’s vitachem. Your water numbers look well. Update as it goes.

rayoddballfish

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I would also consider dosing some general cure if the above method does not work out. I usually use general cure for all my new wild caught fish or when a fish exhibits sickness and has worked wonders. Helped my discus put on size when it looked lethargic and clamped fins with less appetite.

Reactions: AR1 and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store