Parasites in Tubifex worms?

JTRG05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Northwest Ohio
I've heard some people say that tubifex worms carry parasites, which when eaten infect the fish. I don't really see how the parasite would live through the freeze dried process, nor stay alive in the container of tubifex worms with no food for long amounts of time.

I'm wondering this because a few days ago I noticed the dreaded threads hanging from the rectum of my firemouth, and yes, he does have internal parasites now.

Only two ways the FM could have contracted the parasites would be through contact with a GT I had in the tank temporarily, holding for a friend waiting on a tank upgrade, or from the feeding of tubifex worms.

I would just like to know if the tubifex worms have any possibility of harboring parasites so I can stop feeding immediately. I am skeptical, but what do you guys think?

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Freeze dried tubifex are clean. Its the live tubifex that carry parasites. I suspect it was the gt that introduced it into your tank.

JTRG05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Northwest Ohio
What I assumed and we already started treating his GT tank, but just wanted to make sure just in case.

Thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store