Patience or Panic?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Okay, made a big mistake this past Saturday. Was out all day and wanted to do a w/c on the 225 when I got back (two days past schedule). So during the fill I figured to go downstairs at 11pm to check the water level. Problem is I fell asleep unexpectedly. You know the drill. Woke up at midnight and raced downstairs. Tank overflowed, floor under an inch of water. Took me two hours to clear the floor.

Now there's the issue with water seepage from the bottom. The tank is fine, no leaks. The top of the stand and all bracing under the tank is bone dry. But capillary action has seeped from the 'bottom up'. I'm still getting wicking coming from underneath the 'gap space' at the bottom of the tank. Currently I'm running 2 fans (one underneath the stand) all doors open and my large dehumidifier. The lowest point is on the right hand side, back corner. That is where the seepage is still going on. It's stopped in the front and along the left side. Could this take awhile to fully dry out? The water is definitely being pulled out (especially with the door closed overnight with the dehumidifier). I check the stand daily underneath. The seepage takes several hours to creep out a bit.

Sunday I discovered that the base interior panels of the stand were wet in two areas when I noticed some items down there were soppy. Mopped it immediately, opened everything up. It's like the wood down there was a sponge. I'm trying to keep a cool head but its tough. Best thing I can say is that its improving steadily but not as quickly as I'd hoped. I'm ordering a turbo floor fan tonight. What makes this frustrating is that the back frame of the tank is dry. The sides are dry. But there's still water or moisture in the 'crawl space' underneath the base panels. The interior corners that were damp are now dried out so I can see the pattern of the weep through the paint. All of the 2 x 4 framing is dry. Seepage areas are widest along the right corner and thin out across the base going left (across the back on the outside). From behind the tank you see a very thin wet line at the bottom only (maybe 1/4"). Nothing is warped or distorted. You see lighter paint water marks in areas that are now dried inside and underneath. Stand is painted pine wood and plywood. Everything underneath the stand is now dry to the touch.

Stay the course and monitor? I'm watching everything closely.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Any swelling of the wood.
Maybe I should reword that, lol
LOL that wouldn't apply to me...?‍?

But no, nothing is swelling that I can see. The water "wicks" fastest with the dehumidifier on. I may have underestimated the amount of water on the floor. The baseboard behind the tank has a water stain about 1 1/2 inches.

Reactions: celebrist

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If this is the first-time stand got wet it maybe ok. I would worry if the stand was made of press wood for sure.

Reactions: celebrist

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
If the stand is made from solid real wood you should be okay as long as you don't repeat that process too often

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
If the stand is made from solid real wood you should be okay as long as you don't repeat that process too often
Thanks. Definitely wood. Dawned on me the concrete slab below is now damp even tho there's sheet vinyl and laminate underneath the stand. And concrete wicks water at the point of contact, holding moisture. Did another check half an hour ago. Interior of cabinet and all sides bone dry to touch. The seep in back is definitely moving left to right and spreads at the right side'. There's a one inch area of the right back corner that seems to be the 'drain' point. This spot is damp, nearly dry or wet, it goes back and forth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store