penguin/emperor filters

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
looking for any opinions (good and bad) on either filter line. i work in a pet shop and we may start to carry them. we currently carry whisper, millenium, fluval, and magnum. i would like to carry a bio-wheel line, but one of the coworkers is against it. i would like to know of any downsides to these filters. i would also like to know what people think of them in general.

DJ BIG T

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Orlando , FL
i have the 400 bio and it works good...i have a smaller one that i use to use on my 30 gallon...

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have a few of each kind. There isn't much of a difference between them. They both do a good job. For some reason though I like the emperers better for some reason. Just seems like they are a bit better quality. The only thing about emperers is that they tend to run more depending on the store. But all in all they are both pretty good and I would buy either again. If I would have to make a choice for a store my vote would be for the emperer. Hope this helps.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Honda12 said:
There isn't much of a difference between them.
The emperors are deeper and have more filter area and can hold more media than the penguins. Theres also a button on the emperor that will bypass the filter during feeding. They do seem a little better built than the penguns.
I use emperors and penguins and also aquaclears and a whisper. I would rate the best ones as the emperors/aquaclears, followed by penguins and the whisper last.
HTH

sctdg97

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2005
i have had both an emperor 400 and a older penguin 330 both worked perfect but i always thought the penguin was alittle quieter and you can pick up the penguin filters up at wally world

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
so if you guys walked into a pet store that didnt even offer them on their shelves, what would you think? the coworker says that in saltwater the metal rod in the bio wheel will corrode, and it splashes creating salt creep. i just picked up a free emperor 400 from my cousin and the wheels had plastic pegs to support it, so am i to assume the older ones had metal? (i cant remember what mine had when i used an emperor 280 about 6 years ago). i really just need any problems people have had with these filters, as well as some good support to use to argue to get them in.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
personally I don't care for Penguins/Emperors. I have 2 emp 400s and I like Aquaclears about 100 times better. my emperors tend to clog easier and the flow rate diminishes a heck of a lot quicker than my aquaclears. when I go to an lfs I rarely check out the equipment section because I order all mine online so if I went to an lfs that didn't carry penguins or emperors then I either wouldn't even know it, or wouldn't think much of it at all. :D

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
when did they come out with the biowheel? the coworker says it was in the 70s (she wasnt even born yet by the way, neither was i though). i just didnt think they have been around that long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store