Oct 10, 2015
Price
Region
New England
State
New Hampshire
Pickup or shipping
Shipping or Pickup
Purchased at 2.5” from We last year. Great fish. Eats pellets and cut fish/shrimp. Currently 13”.

D74D5D57-A4D2-45F7-A2B3-14F7F0670F8D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Beautiful fish and shot.

I agree with you on the ID of a true filamentosum despite all the opposition from other peers, who adamantly say Peru piraiba are the false piraiba aka capapretum. This is so prevalent down here in Florida that Rodrigo of Predatory Fins is forced to sell tankfulls of Peru piraiba as capapretum for $65, because he is told by peers and his buyers that Peru piraiba doesn't exceed 3' for many years in captivity, or maybe ever, but true piraiba (and they mean here in part the Suriname piraiba) reach 4'-5' in 5 years in captivity and keep growing.

The growth rate disparity is true in our 1sthand experience as we have two 5 yo Peru stuck at 2.5'-3' and one 4.5'-5', 6yo Suriname that keeps growing... but from all my knowledge capapretum look distinctly different, especially when younger, babies and young juvies. Yours above I'd ID as true filamentosum in my present knowledge, of indeed Peru variety.

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
Beautiful fish and shot.

I agree with you on the ID of a true filamentosum despite all the opposition from other peers, who adamantly say Peru piraiba are the false piraiba aka capapretum. This is so prevalent down here in Florida that Rodrigo of Predatory Fins is forced to sell tankfulls of Peru piraiba as capapretum for $65, because he is told by peers and his buyers that Peru piraiba doesn't exceed 3' for many years in captivity, or maybe ever, but true piraiba (and they mean here in part the Suriname piraiba) reach 4'-5' in 5 years in captivity and keep growing.

The growth rate disparity is true in our 1sthand experience as we have two 5 yo Peru stuck at 2.5'-3' and one 4.5'-5', 6yo Suriname that keeps growing... but from all my knowledge capapretum look distinctly different, especially when younger, babies and young juvies. Yours above I'd ID as true filamentosum in my present knowledge, of indeed Peru variety.
Not the first time I have heard of PF mislabeling fish they are selling. Bound to happen when someone brings in as much as they do and they are going by what exports are telling them.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store