Planning First Acrylic Build

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
Been inspired by all the builds here on MFK and looking into tempting my first acrylic build. Right now I am trying to get some prices for sheets from different vendors but wasnt completely sure on how thick of acrylic i should be shopping for as I am on the fence choosing between 1/2" or 3/4".

My plan is to make a tank in one of the two sizes below:

96 x 48 x 24
96 x 48 x 30

Would I be able to do 1/2" for either of the two builds or would i need 3/4" all around? I have seen some people use different thickness for the top and bottom versus the side panes but not quite sure exactly how that works out.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Been inspired by all the builds here on MFK and looking into tempting my first acrylic build. Right now I am trying to get some prices for sheets from different vendors but wasnt completely sure on how thick of acrylic i should be shopping for as I am on the fence choosing between 1/2" or 3/4".

My plan is to make a tank in one of the two sizes below:

96 x 48 x 24
96 x 48 x 30

Would I be able to do 1/2" for either of the two builds or would i need 3/4" all around? I have seen some people use different thickness for the top and bottom versus the side panes but not quite sure exactly how that works out.
U can get away with 1/2" for 8x4x2 but as always 3/4"/thicker would be better. U'll need 4 sheets of material for 8x4x2 and 5 for the 8x4x30. Id go for the 8x4x2 in 3/4" using 4 sheets. I recommend a full top sheet for the brace with holes routered/cut out for the lids. If you deciede to save money using the 1/2" material id beef up the inside upright seams with 1" square stock acrylic as it will bow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store