Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5.0ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So I have a platinum redtail catfish and he hasn't ate in the last few days and has been just hanging out in the corner all day and as soon as I turn the lights out he starts rubbing on the substrate quite frequently I did just have a normal redtail pass and pretty sure it was a parasite as he had a red spot on his gill and then it started getting worse and worse till he died all other fish seem good other than this one now
Filtration 3 fx6s and 1 eheim canister 1000000836.jpg1000000835.jpg
Tank dimensions 12x3ftx28in
Tank temp 75.0f
Ph: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
So I have a platinum redtail catfish and he hasn't ate in the last few days and has been just hanging out in the corner all day and as soon as I turn the lights out he starts rubbing on the substrate quite frequently I did just have a normal redtail pass and pretty sure it was a parasite as he had a red spot on his gill and then it started getting worse and worse till he died all other fish seem good other than this one now
Filtration 3 fx6s and 1 eheim canister View attachment 1547810View attachment 1547811
Tank dimensions 12x3ftx28in
Tank temp 75.0f
Ph: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
I have also kept RTCs and the only time they do this is when the nitrates are high. I will tag some experienced members
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nitrates aren’t too high which is good. Where did you buy these fish? Had them for a while? What are you feeding? Does it look like it’s having a hard time with staying upright? I’d reduce and dim lights if possible. Dose some seachem paragaurd, 1/2 dose monitor the response then dose till full dose given for water size. Give it a few days before feeding a decent pellet. Not sure if it’s genetic with these man made platinum rtcs. I assume they are captive bred.

Reactions: fishguy13 and AR1

fishguy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2024
I got them from a private buyer off line I have had them for a little not to to long I'd say a few months but the one that passed I had for a while I'm feeding tilapia and salmon and pellets switching it up here and there between them and it doesn't look like he's having a hard time staying up right and I'll definitely do that and yes pretty sure captive breed

Reactions: AR1

fishguy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2024
Okay would you recommend not feeding them salmon anymore? And thinking that's maybe what's been causing my issues?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I do not know what is wrong with your fish.

Now you realize that salmon, being a sea fish is not a natural diet, and is an oily fish, and leaves a film on the water, do you think you should continue feeding?

fishguy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2024
I don't seeing as he was not certain on his answer all I got was if I remember correctly sorry for asking for suggestions lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store