Polypterus ID: P. bichir bichir or P. bichir lapradei

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Is this... Polypterus bichir bichir? or Polypterus bichir lapradei?? :confused:

The pair look very much the same, (besides the black spotting on one of them. Both look almost identical to the P. Bichir Bichir pics in the 'MONSTER FISH KEEPERS Vol.02' What do you think??

2lapradei_weeksi-02.JPG

bothlap-07.JPG

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
WOAH! Looks like P. bichir bichir to me. Where'd you get them? And more importantly, are there more availible? :D

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
WOAH! Looks like P. bichir bichir to me. Where'd you get them? And more importantly, are there more availible?
Yeah, I'm almost certain that these are P. bichir bichir myself.

BGG, I got these bichirs a couple years back... picked one up from a friend of mine, and the other was a trade-in at a LFS near me. Have always thought they were Lapradei until now. :D here's a couple more pics of them...

bothLapradei-03.JPG

lapgrp-00.JPG

P.b.lapradei-both.JPG

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
PhullTank57 said:
Yeah, I'm almost certain that these are P. bichir bichir myself.

BGG, I got these bichirs a couple years back... picked one up from a friend of mine, and the other was a trade-in at a LFS near me. Have always thought they were Lapradei until now. :D here's a couple more pics of them...
Oh man, P. b. bichir at a lfs... LOL! I wish I had people trading in fish like that around here. :D

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
They are lapradei, IMO,. Sorry to burst your bubble, as I am waiting on a few from Singapore.

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
I go by head shape and finlet count. However I am no expert, thats why I said IMO. I have seen many pictures of p. bicher bicher and I was using this as my judgement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store